Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
h8-1425a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Have searched the web and asked in my local store and they are unsure if the motherboard will support a GTX 960,  I am aware that I will need to upgrade my  PSU and I have checked to ensure it will fit inside the case but i have failed to find a definitive answer to if my mother board will support it 

system board: 2AD5 1.03

system BIOs: 8.09

current video card: gt640

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Darklight11, welcome to the forum.

The first thing that you should do is assure that your motherboard has UEFI instead of a Legacy BIOS.  I believe that it does because the computer came with Win 8.

Here is a video card that should work nicely in your motherboard.  Look in the "Specifictaions" section for all of the specs on the card.  It requires a 400W PSU and requires one additional 6-pin power connector.  It has a DisplayPort so it would be capable of UHD resolutions.  I have a 28" UHD monitor that is amazing.  I always recommend a PSU that has at least 100W more than the card requires.  This will give you plenty of power for peak usage.  You may be able to find the card for less money.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Darklight11, welcome to the forum.

The first thing that you should do is assure that your motherboard has UEFI instead of a Legacy BIOS.  I believe that it does because the computer came with Win 8.

Here is a video card that should work nicely in your motherboard.  Look in the "Specifictaions" section for all of the specs on the card.  It requires a 400W PSU and requires one additional 6-pin power connector.  It has a DisplayPort so it would be capable of UHD resolutions.  I have a 28" UHD monitor that is amazing.  I always recommend a PSU that has at least 100W more than the card requires.  This will give you plenty of power for peak usage.  You may be able to find the card for less money.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

thank you for the answer i just looked ant my bios and it is indeed UEFI , on another note this is the video card i am looking at

HP Recommended

You are welcome!  Thank you for the additional information, @Darklight11.

ASUS makes great products.  The only concern that I have about the card is, it is 10.30" in length.  I believe this will be a tight fit.  You can check this by measuring from the Back I/O port to the front of the case.  This will give you a good idea if it will fit or not.  I have an 11", R9-390X, in a small mid-size case.  It is tight, but it does work.

HP Recommended

Based off what I checked to see what the computer would look like, yes the computer can support the GTX 960. I recommend upgrading your PSU to like a 750W PSU so you can have more room for watts when you are using the GTX 960.

HP Recommended

yes i have checked and if my measurements are correct it will just fit and the only obstruction that could be would be part of the bay that holds extra hard drives which I don't have so i may be able to bend the metal to fit as i use this computer for gaming only and the 1 tb Hard drive is plenty big enough besides i plan to run my games off external ssd  

HP Recommended

yes i am aware that my current PSU is not going to be able to power it  not only that but i don't have the extra 6 pin required to run the video card on the stock PSU anyway

HP Recommended

Hi sorry to bother you again, at the time i posted this i also twittered  HP asking the same question and i received a reply saying that while the GTX 960 is a good card but it runs DDR5 and my motherboard only has 4x DDR3 does this mean i can use that card or would i hust suffer a performance loss of some kind, and can i upgrade to DDR5 without having to buy a new motherboard

thank you for your help

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.