Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Workstation z640 T4K61EA#UU
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Greetings my friends.

We have acquired a brand new z640 workstation, which were provided with a 256 GB Z Turbo Drive. To expand our storage space we also acquired an additional 512 GB Z Turbo Drive. We replaced the smaller drive and now we would like to know how to correctly install it as an additional drive. The lack of information and very week HP Support had led our way here asking following questions:

Considering following:

- our workstation is z640.

- this is a single CPU installation.

- we have two Z Turbo Drives (512 faster/bigger and 256 slower/smaller).

- 512 GB Z Turbo Drive is used as the main drive while it is faster.

Our questions are:

1. - Which slot is recommended for the additional drive?
  2. - Is there a pin connector for the status led light (HDDACT_OUT - HDD LED)?

HP Support was not able to answer our questions, maybe you are..

Best Regards,

Lorvi Anton

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Review the below image.  Slot 5 is your first choice.

The HDD activity LED is located by the front USB ports. I don't know if that is going to work with PCIe SSDs.

z640 2nd zturbo drive.png

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi,

Review the below image.  Slot 5 is your first choice.

The HDD activity LED is located by the front USB ports. I don't know if that is going to work with PCIe SSDs.

z640 2nd zturbo drive.png

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.