Question

Student
kevinlol
Message 1 of 2 (11,952 Views)

1 short beep, 1 long beep. Resetting memory. Other solutions besides contacting HP support.

My HP Desktop was working fine last night. I just installed all expansions of Guild Wars and all the maps, so it was quite a bit of files. And that's on top of a whole bunch of games. This could be the problem.

It was playing perfectly, and my computer was running fast outside of the game. I go to sleep and turn off my computer. The next morning (today) I go to turn on my computer and it won't turn on. The monitor says no input (When the wires are clearly attached right) and my Tower is beeping. 1 short beep followed by 1 long beep. I researched this and it means a memory problem to my knowledge.

I'm pretty good with fixing computers, so I'm no novice. I believe if given the right steps, I can fix this myself without taking it in to a professional and paying money which I don't have.

I looked this up, and I found answers saying I should reset my memory. How would I go about doing that? Here is a picture of the inside of my computer: http://oi52.tinypic.com/2ibdpps.jpg

That is the best pic I could take, and it is not a virus ~ Tinypic is a legit site for hosting pictures.

Anyway. The computer is about 4 years old and hasn't been used in about 7 months. So it is quite dusty, is there any other method besides buying compressed air to clean out the dust on the fans and inside the computer?

And if it is not a memory problem where I have to reset the memory...what is the problem?

Again:

-I'm trying to reset my memory
-Computer won't start ~ it makes 1 short beep followed by 1 long beep.
-How would I go about fixing this to getting it back to normal?
-What caused this? It was running absolutely perfect last night
-Is there any other method to cleaning the dust out? It is very dusty on the fans in particular.

Thank you.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 2 (11,921 Views)

Re: 1 short beep, 1 long beep. Resetting memory. Other solutions besides contacting HP support.

Kevin,

Try this bootable memory diagnostic CD. Download memtest86 iso file and burn it to disk using Imgburn.

Try swapping the memory dimms in and out until you find the bad one(s).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad, HP Chromebook 11
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation