Question

Student
koshiguruma
Message 1 of 3 (2,177 Views)

15-1 card reader on s3500pc no longer working after Vista-64 SP2 installed

Had been using the compact flash reader often and appears having let Vista SP2 be applied it is not working.

1. Having done the usual stuff of uninstalling the usb hub drivers, powering off, removing power cord, holding power on for a while and then re-booting

2. During driver re-install tells me a usb device had a problem and shows an unknown device

3. Windows explorer shows four removable media drives

4. If I insert a compact flash card those devices disappear

5. If I insert an SD card nothing happens as opposed to seeing 4 

Is anyone aware of any incompatibilities with the device drivers for the reader and Vista SP2.

I can't seem to find out what the driver is. Had tried to use the HP tool that re-installs devices but that did not seem to make a difference.

Might the behaviour of 4/5 imply the timing of the O/S patch is a coincidence and the card reader may be broken. What is the ball park cost of a 15-1 replacement. While I could go with an external USB solution having less clutter/cables is my preference hence liked using the built-in reader.

Associate Professor
RoyalSerpent
Message 2 of 3 (2,167 Views)

Re: 15-1 card reader on s3500pc no longer working after Vista-64 SP2 installed

Try the card reader on another PC.  It should be 100% plug-n-play unless HP uses some cheap supplier with proprietary driver.

A service pack can kill funtionality of some add-on devices.  That's why it's best to create an image file of the OS prior to applying the SP.  You could attempt to remove SP2.

I prefer an external USB card reader.  The only difference to your internal unit is that I can quickly detach the reader for use with another PC.  A good USB card reader should be able to fully tax the available bandwidth of USB 2.0 (about 23MB/s).

May be time to spend $6 on another card reader.  This SSK unit is blazing fast.  19.9MB/s on 20MB/s rated Extreme III SD card.  Should be able to hit 23MB/s with ease with a faster memory module.  Get a 2' USB extension cable if you want to relocate the card.  The include cable is only 4" long.

http://www2.dealextreme.com:8080/details.dx/sku.5817

Distinguished Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 3 of 3 (2,138 Views)

Re: 15-1 card reader on s3500pc no longer working after Vista-64 SP2 installed

If DM is showing an unknown device and mentions something about USB during reinstall, then it is a likely a device enumeration problem in the registry.

Things you can do...

Make sure there are no cards in the drive when trying these steps.

Uninstall SP2 and try it. If it is still messed up, use system restore to go back to when it was not messed up (pre-SP2). Then, try installing SP2 again.

Another thing you can try is to remove the side panel (and move other parts), disconnect the cable that runs into the back of the memory card or from its USB header on the motherboard. After it is disconnected, restart the computer twice. And then, with it off, reconnect the cable and put everything back together.

If either of these don't get it, then RoyalSerpent's suggestion probably comes into play. external USB card readers are cheap and portable.

... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation