Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Brand new HP Elite 8300 SFF running Win 7 Pro 64 bit. Brand new PNY 16GB USB drive. The drive is not functional in this machine. Works fine on other Win 7 machines as well as XP Pro SP3 machine. Other USB drives work fine in this machine.

When drive is inserted windows says drivers installed... ready for use etc. Drive does not show up in Windows Explorer. After a few minutes the drive shows up in Explorer but properties show file system unknown (it is a FAT32 drive) no used space, no free space. Attempt to copy something to the drive windows says Item not found. Could not find this item. This is no longer located in Computer. Verify the items location and try again. Removable Disk. The device shows up in Windows Explorer. The device shows up via Device Manager. The device shows up via MSINFO32. The device shows up via Disk Management. None of the above locations show the device as a problem device.

Windows is up to date with all updates. Have updated the chipset for this machine via HP Technical Support. Have run windows fixit and it detects a problem with device not recognized but doesn't fix the problem.

Uninstalling and reinstalling usb controllers did not fix the problem.

I have also attempted to run some diskpart commands on the drive as per this: 

And also did a registry change as per this:

Navigate to the following registry key: -HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\

Now , Create a New Key named as StorageDevicePolicies.

Next , Highlight StorageDevicePolicies, and then create a New DWORD (32-bit) Value named as WriteProtect.

Finally ,Double click on WriteProtect, and set its value data to 1.

Neither of the above provided a fix.

I am baffled... any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

disable the "File Sanitizer for HP ProtectTools" in Windows Services. 

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hi,

Can THIS computer recognise/recognize other USB (different brand) ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended
Yes. You didn't see where I said " Other USB drives work fine in this machine."?
HP Recommended

Hi,

If the PNY flash is USB 3.0 then try it in a USB 2.0 port.  Post your results.

If the PNY works OK in a USB 2.0 port then you might have a driver problem.

Banhein was asking about different brands and not just different USB flash devices. At least that's how I read his question.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended
Doesn't work in 2.0 port & doesn't work in 3.0 port. The drive is 2.0
HP Recommended

Other brands of usb flash drives work in this machine both 2.0 and 3.0

HP Recommended

Good show! It appears that you have found your problem.:smileyhappy:

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

@rmfred wrote:

Other brands of usb flash drives work in this machine both 2.0 and 3.0

Hi,

I did reply something like this:

"Can THIS computer recognise/recognize other USB (different brand) ?"

Cheers.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I have (2) 16GB PNY flash drives.  Both work in my m9200t and m8100e. One has an "attache" label".

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

I did see in one extremely obscure case that powering off the PC and then clearing the CMOS solved the issue. I would say 1 in 50,000.

Another remote case required a bios update.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.