Question

Top Student
PAPowers
Message 1 of 14 (1,839 Views)
Accepted Solution

2nd hard drive

I hope someone can help me before I return the computer.

I just purchased a HP Envy 700-074 from best Buy and I wanted to add a second hard drive.  I have been putting computers together for 30 years and have never had a problem till now.  I called HP tech support and they told me that to give me the information I needed, I had to pay them.  I will return the computer before I accept that as an answer.

Does anyone know why it may not be acknowleging the second HD

Computer info is:

HP Envy 700-074

Product H5Q09AA#ABA

It has 4 available connections, 2 are being used, one by the seagate 2 TB HD and one by the DVD drive.  I am trying to add another seagate 2 TB HD.  The operating system is windows 8.  I am probably missing something simple so I would apreciate help.  If I do not get an answer within a week I will just return the computer and purchase from another company.  I have purchased a lot of items from HP and this is the 1st time I have ever been so disappointed in them in helping out a person with a question. They can usually send you info or tell you where to look.

Associate Dean
wb2001
Message 2 of 14 (1,829 Views)

Re: 2nd hard drive

[ Edited ]

Installing a new hard drive is not a daunting task, and should be easy for a 30yr veteran of CPU's. You need to have purchased a Sata data lead first. Hook up Sata data lead between the motherboard Sata header, and hard dive. Then locate a Sata power plug from the PSU for the hard drive.

Partitioning a hard drive. You must create at least 1 partition.

When you create partitions on a basic disk using Disk Management, the first three volumes you can create will be formatted as primary partitions. Beginning with the fourth volume, each volume will be configured as a logical drive within an extended partition. For more information, see What are partitions and logical drives?

1. Press START button
  2. Open Control Panel     (you must be in Classic View).
  3. Open Administrative Tools

1. Click to open Computer Management.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In the Navigation pane,    under Storage,    click Disk Management.

DISK0 is the first hard drive, containing your C partition (WIN8 OS), and likely the D (Recovery). Do not "click on" any of that drive.  It this is not crystal clear, close the program.

Look for the new drive listed as DISK1.

1. Right-click an unallocated region on your hard disk, and then click New Simple Volume.
  2. In the New Simple Volume Wizard, click Next.
  3. Type the size of the volume you want to create in megabytes (MB) or accept the maximum default size, and then click Next.
  4. Accept the default drive letter or choose a different drive letter to identify the partition, and then click Next.
  5. In the Format Partition dialog box, do one of the following:
  • If you don't want to format the volume right now, click Do not format this volume, and then click Next.
  • To format the volume with the default settings, click Next.
  1. Review your choices, and then click Finish.

The Law of Effect states that positive reinforcement increases the probability of a behavior being repeated. (B.F.Skinner). You toss me points, and I perform better.

To say THANK YOU, press the white "thumbs up" on the left, to render a KUDO.
Please click Accept as Solution, just to the right of my reply if your problem is solved.
You can render both Solution and KUDO

HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB WIN7-64bit
Custom Asus P8P67 board, I7-2600k, WIN7 Pro 64bit, GTX670 2GB, 16GB RAM, 750W OCZ, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
HP m9200t CTO,Win7 Pro 32 bit. 4GB RAM, ASUS 550Ti 2GB, Rosewill 630W. 1T HD SATA 3Gb/s
HP m8100eCTO WIN7 Ultimate 32bit, 4GB RAM, XFX5670 1GB, Rosewill 530W. 1T HD SATA 3Gb/s
Printer -- OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus

Top Student
PAPowers
Message 3 of 14 (1,815 Views)

I did everthing you described but the hard drive is not being recognized by the system.  I put it in another computer that is running windows 7 and xp and no problem being recognized

Top Student
PAPowers
Message 4 of 14 (1,814 Views)

PS

The media card reader is being recognized as drives also

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 5 of 14 (1,806 Views)

[ Edited ]

Is the new hard drive seen in the BIOS??? Is the SATA port the drive is connected to, enabled in the BIOS "Security" tab > "Device Security" menu???

Please see the "BIOS Settings for the Motherboard" guide to locate and adjust these settings. Please note that this guide is for a different motherboard and your options may vary. I couldn't locate a BIOS settings guide for the MS-7826 (Kaili) motherboard in the HP ENVY 700-074 Desktop Computer.

Please let use know how it goes.

Please click the white KUDOS star to show your appreciation

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
Top Student
PAPowers
Message 6 of 14 (1,796 Views)

I believe that is where the answer lies.  But HP tech support will not release any information unless they are paid.  That is why I will return the PC and post the problem that I had.  I hope common since will prevail and I am given some direction.  Five days and counting till I return the computer and start posting my disappointment.

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 7 of 14 (1,786 Views)

This is a peer-to-peer user supported forum for HP consumer class products. HP maintains no official presence on this forum. It is unlikely that HP will respond in an official capacity. Any reply from a HP employee represents their own opinion and not that of HP's. I, as most other persons on this forum, don't work for HP.

Since you computer is well under 12 months old, HP should be providing assistance with your issue. I have requested that your issue be reviewed for escalation. Please keep an eye out for a private message from someone at HP. You can check your PMs (private messages) by clicking the "envelope" at the top of the page, next to your screen name.

Please click the white KUDOS star to show your appreciation

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
Top Student
PAPowers
Message 8 of 14 (1,762 Views)

Thank you

Student
jsaffer
Message 9 of 14 (1,712 Views)

I have the same exact HP desktop and am also installing a second internal drive. The problem I'm having is I'm not sure how to physically secure the drive in the dock. I've slid the drive into the dock, underneath the primary drive that comes with the HP. The only way I can see to secure the drive in the dock is to put one screw through the side, which is about one half the way down. I've put second internal drives into previous HP desktops - in that previous setup, could slide the whole metal casing out and put in two hard drives, side by side. But I don't see a way to slide this metal casing out on this desktop. It seems to be welded into the inside of the casing. So, the only way I can see, like I said, is to slide the second drive in, but I can't figure out how to secure it in place. I'd appreciate ideas on this very much. I've already hooked the drive into the motherboard and into the power supply and the drive is working fine. I'd just like it to be more secure in the metal case. Thanks.

Student
JS1952
Message 10 of 14 (1,697 Views)

[ Edited ]

If you put a screw in the right rear retaining screw hole of the drive before you slide it in, it will catch in the slot of the release tab & hold the drive secure. To get the drive back out I had to remove the screw before it would release & slide out.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation