Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Pavilion P6-2120

The computer came with 6GB of physical RAM installed (1 X 4GB DIMM 1 X 2GB DIMM)

Orignally I noticed that in the System menu it showed Installed memory (RAM) 6GB (1.48 GB usable)

I decided to swap the DIMMS and now it shows Installed memory (RAM) 6GB (3.48 GB usable)

I was unable to find anything in the BIOS to change the amount of video ram allocated or any other way to change the hardware reserved RAM. I updated the AMD chipset driver directly from AMD.com but was unable to locate a BIOS update for the motherboard.

It would appear that the system can see slot 2 but is unable to make it available in Windows.

msconfig.PNG

msconfig.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The system is recognizing the entire 6GB.  There are some common situations which could cause what you are experiencing.

1. The memory allocation box under MSCONFIG is checked and it should be unchecked.  You will need to open open the RUN window and enter MSCONFIG --> Boot --> Advanced and make sure the Memory box is unchecked.

2. The AMD APU is reserving video memory in advance but the system will automatically reallocate some if and when needed. Some PCs have a bios option to change UMA buffers but I don't believe that your PC has that option.

3. The graphics driver is faulty. Try reinstalling the original driver from HP.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Also verified that Maximum Memory is un-checked under the Advanced boot options in MSCONFIG

Here's the resource monitor as well.

monitor.PNG

HP Recommended

Hi,

The system is recognizing the entire 6GB.  There are some common situations which could cause what you are experiencing.

1. The memory allocation box under MSCONFIG is checked and it should be unchecked.  You will need to open open the RUN window and enter MSCONFIG --> Boot --> Advanced and make sure the Memory box is unchecked.

2. The AMD APU is reserving video memory in advance but the system will automatically reallocate some if and when needed. Some PCs have a bios option to change UMA buffers but I don't believe that your PC has that option.

3. The graphics driver is faulty. Try reinstalling the original driver from HP.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.