Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Compaq DV7800
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hii

I have a small form factor dc 7800 Desktop

And i have too a Nvidia 8600GT Graphic Card

when i mount the Graphic card into PCIe Slot The computer

stay working in VGA COnnector and when i use tha DVI Port form the card

Nothing... So need i a Bios Config to work ?

For the factor i put the motherboard out to can set up the card

i have all the hardware out Power , HDD...

Can you help me ?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Maybe that card is too powerful for the 240W power supply your PC has.

I would go with a less powerful card such as the Radeon HD 6450.

Also before you installed the video card, did you uninstall the onboard Intel graphics adapter and check the uninstall driver box before installing the nvidia card?

Nvidia used to list the power draw of each of their cards but now when I click on the specs for the 8600 GT, I get very little info.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-8600-gt/specifications

The PCI x16 slot in your PC has a max safe power draw of only 25W, and I am sure the 8600 GT draws more power than that.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

I have a dc7800 and when I installed a video card in the PCI x16 slot, the onboard video was automatically disabled and the add on video card worked just fine.

There is no BIOS setting required to enable the video card when it is installed in a PCI x16 slot.

That means a few things could be possible:

1. The video card you installed is not firmly seated in the slot and full contact with all of the connectors isn't being made.

2. The video card itself is bad.

3.  The motherboard is bad (PCI x16 slot is dead).

HP Recommended

Thanx for the fast reply

Plz How i can check if the PCIE Slot is dead ?

but the Graphic Card works in another computer

and i have tryed 2 nvidia card the 2 works

there are a list of compatible PCIE graphic card ?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, I would have no idea how to diagnose that the slot was bad, but if you know that card is good, then you have to deduce that the motherboard is bad, since the card is not powering up.

If the card was incompatible, the PC would beep 6 times and pause, and beep 6 times again, or it wouldn't boot.

The card is not being detected.

Here is the list of supported graphics cards for the dc7800...see page 16.

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c04287277

I know that other cards work in the SFF, such as the AMD Radeon HD 6450

HP Recommended

Hi Again

The card is powerup because the temp of the card rises...

i cant find these graphic cards on the list of compatible

no way to work with these cards ?

HP Recommended

Maybe that card is too powerful for the 240W power supply your PC has.

I would go with a less powerful card such as the Radeon HD 6450.

Also before you installed the video card, did you uninstall the onboard Intel graphics adapter and check the uninstall driver box before installing the nvidia card?

Nvidia used to list the power draw of each of their cards but now when I click on the specs for the 8600 GT, I get very little info.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-8600-gt/specifications

The PCI x16 slot in your PC has a max safe power draw of only 25W, and I am sure the 8600 GT draws more power than that.

HP Recommended

Yes man 75W

Thanks for help

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You need the dc7800 cmt for that card.  The PCIe x16 slot in the cmt can draw up to 75W safely.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.