ASUS A8AE-LE Motherboard and PCI Express (5819 Views)
Student
tleilaxughola
Message 1 of 2 (5,819 Views)

ASUS A8AE-LE Motherboard and PCI Express

I have a Pavilion d4100e AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ with the ASUS A8AE-LE Motherboard. I feel sometimes like I made a mistake by purchasing this system as I have no CPU upgrade path with a Socket 939. It also seems like this was the last HP system that uses SATA-150 specification before SATA-300 was implemented. This system truly is the antithesis of a Future-Proof system.

Was this also the last PCI Express x16 system built before the implementation of PCI Express Base 2.0 specification? I am asking this because I want to get a better Video Card than the MSI NVIDIA GeForce 6600 256MB PCIe Video Card that is in the system now, however I need to know if I can shop for PCI Express 2.0 cards at newegg.

In other words, does this motherboard support PCI Express 2.0? I understand I am also limited by the rather smallish 350W Power Supply along with it's lack of connectors (can only use 2 internal HDD), but I think I can get a better card now and still be OK with the 350W power supply. Do I have to stick to shopping for PCI Express1.0  x16 cards or can I also use card utilizing the much better PCI Express 2.0 specification? How about some information about the PCIEX2S PCI to PCI bridge? That would be nice.

Is there any detailed technical documentation on this Motherboard. I think another problem with this motherboard is the lack of good, detailed documentation. I don't think HP needs to handle the ASUS A8AE-LE motherboard docs like it is a National Security risk or something.

-TG

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 2 (5,807 Views)

Re: ASUS A8AE-LE Motherboard and PCI Express

tleilaxughola wrote:

I have a Pavilion d4100e AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ with the ASUS A8AE-LE Motherboard. I feel sometimes like I made a mistake by purchasing this system as I have no CPU upgrade path with a Socket 939. It also seems like this was the last HP system that uses SATA-150 specification before SATA-300 was implemented. This system truly is the antithesis of a Future-Proof system.

Was this also the last PCI Express x16 system built before the implementation of PCI Express Base 2.0 specification? I am asking this because I want to get a better Video Card than the MSI NVIDIA GeForce 6600 256MB PCIe Video Card that is in the system now, however I need to know if I can shop for PCI Express 2.0 cards at newegg.

In other words, does this motherboard support PCI Express 2.0? I understand I am also limited by the rather smallish 350W Power Supply along with it's lack of connectors (can only use 2 internal HDD), but I think I can get a better card now and still be OK with the 350W power supply. Do I have to stick to shopping for PCI Express1.0  x16 cards or can I also use card utilizing the much better PCI Express 2.0 specification? How about some information about the PCIEX2S PCI to PCI bridge? That would be nice.

Is there any detailed technical documentation on this Motherboard. I think another problem with this motherboard is the lack of good, detailed documentation. I don't think HP needs to handle the ASUS A8AE-LE motherboard docs like it is a National Security risk or something.

-TG

PCI Express 2.0 cards are backwardly compatible with the PCI Express 1.0/1.1 specifications. That means that yes you can install a PCI Express 2.0 video card. 

It would be worth your while to upgrade the PSU to one that is ATX12 V2.2  standard. That means that it has the connectors for a video card that requires a PCIe 6-pin connector.

here is a link to the specs on the motherboard. Unfortunately this link goes to a document that is a detailed as you are going to get on an ASUS motherboard custom made tailored to HP's specifications.

regards,
erico 

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation