Re: Add SATA On Presario SR1500NX (2852 Views)
Top Student
RikM
Message 11 of 18 (2,926 Views)

Re: Add SATA On Presario

OK...the latest drivers from VIA did not help.  I can see the SATA/RAID controller in device manager (under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers?) but Windows still does not recognize that a drive is attached.  I can tell from vibration and heat that the new drive is connected and powered.

I flashed the BIOS anyway, per LSUNewOrleans suggestion, with no change...I still don't show any kind of support for PATA/SATA in the BIOS setup screens.  My screen goes directly from "PS/2 Mouse" to "Onboard LAN", skipping the two lines shown in the photo you reference.  The 1300NX and 1500NX supposedly have the same MOBO, I'm curious about the difference in our results, but that's secondary to getting my purchase to work.

I also tried using RAID tools from VIA and Western Digital, but they also don't recognize the additional drive.

Looking for more help.

Thanks,

Rik

Professor
1badGuard
Message 12 of 18 (2,918 Views)

Re: Add SATA On Presario SR1500NX

Some sata drives come with jumpers. Look and see if yours did. If it did, remove it. Could be the HDD just is not compatible.
Tutor
LsuNewOrleans
Message 13 of 18 (2,852 Views)

RikM,

Is it working? 

Thie HP PC MB does not support 300 but supports 150 speed.  I have several SATA drives. The MB does not see the 300 MBPS SATA but the Asusteck MB sees the 150 MBPS SATA drives.

Jutt a thought

Thank you ~ Enjoy The Rest Of Your Cajun Crawfish
Tutor
LsuNewOrleans
Message 14 of 18 (2,851 Views)

RikM,

I buy 80 - 100 GB hd's for $10.00 plus $8.00 shipping if you need any.

Enjoy the rest of your day and the rest of your Crawfish

Top Student
RikM
Message 15 of 18 (2,832 Views)

I never got it to work, either on my regular machine, or the kids' machine (which is only 9 months old), or the computer at my local PC repair shop.  I simply returned it.

I did try the jumper that was there to change from 3 to 1.5 with no success (obviously).

I ended up grabbing an old 40G IDE and using that...not my druthers though.  I'd love to try one of your 100G's - SATA?  I'm still hopeful!  :smileyhappy:

If you reply here again and also PM me, let's see what we can work out.

thanks for the followup.

Rik

Tutor
LsuNewOrleans
Message 16 of 18 (2,823 Views)

RickM,

If you want to check prices CACRC of Baton Rouge has them on eBay.  I have been buying from them for 5 yrs cause they are a local pickup and a non-profit without the need to be slick or make a profit.

$18.00 aint bad for one shipped to your house.  eBay = corpcouncil

Tutor
LsuNewOrleans
Message 17 of 18 (2,822 Views)

RikM,

I am an old retired PC tech but I had never used SATA.  I bought a DELL Optiplex with SATA from CACRC for $40.00 which lets me practice and learn about SATA.  All I had to do was add some RAM and away it went.

Student
jnrjrain7
Message 18 of 18 (450 Views)

[ Edited ]

look up your hd jumper settings and set it to 1.5 g transfer rate, if that doesnt work you either have a bad hd or mb

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation