Question

Tutor
Diehard77
Message 1 of 6 (162 Views)

Adding a 3TB hard drive to a 4 year old HP Desktop

My existing PC is an HP Pavilion Elite m9465uk, which is about 4 years old and has a 1TB hard drive. My OS is an upgrade to Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, from the original Vista and supplied by HP. I want to add a 3TB hard drive as the main drive, and use the existing 1GB HD as the backup disk.

This uprating of a HD seems to be a common problem nowadays, and I think that the BIOS needs to be set up or replaced, to permit UEFI and GPT instead of MBR. The symptoms are that the full size of the new 3TB drive is not recognised, and is about 750GB.  The existing mother board is a PEGATRON CORPORATION Benicia 1.01, and the BIOS is an  American Megatrends Inc. 5.30 09/05/2008.

Can anyone give advice on this?

Regards

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 6 (147 Views)

Re: Adding a 3TB hard drive to a 4 year old HP Desktop

[ Edited ]

The BIOS may not be capable of recognizing a disk greater than 2.1 TB or even 1.5 TB.  Even if you are  able to get the disk to be recognized as a 3 TB drive you will be unlikely to be able to use it as the boot drive. 

Some hard disk manaufacturers have workarounds that are provided with the hard disk or on their support website.

What is the manufacturer and model of the hard disk?

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
Diehard77
Message 3 of 6 (131 Views)

Thanks for the reply.

I expect to have to cahange the BIOS and/or the Motherboard. I would prefer the 3TB drive to be the master, but may have to accept this as the 1GB as is existing.

The existing hard drive is a western digital Green, 1TB, SATA, 32MB Cache, WD10EADS.

The new drive is also a western digital but Black, 3TB, SATA, 64MB Cache, WD3003FZEX.

Regards

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 6 (125 Views)

You are going to have to replace the motherboard with one that has a modern BIOS (UEFI Environment) capability.  Of course that will also mean having to purchase a licensed operating system for the new motherboard. 

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having

Tutor
Diehard77
Message 5 of 6 (123 Views)

An alternative may be just to use the maximum possible size, that is avaiiable using the existing hardware. I have seen mention of 2GB, this would be acceptable or even something less, what are the options? 

Regards

Provost
erico
Message 6 of 6 (109 Views)

A 1.5 TB hard disk would probably work. A 2 TB Hard disk may be stretching it a bit. They weren't made four years ago, so the disk geometry of one with that capacity may not be in the BIOS ROM's whitelist.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation