Adding a SSD to my PC without replacing the HDD (4212 Views)
Tutor
bpr5016
Message 1 of 5 (4,212 Views)
Accepted Solution

Adding a SSD to my PC without replacing the HDD

Greetings!

I have a HP Pavilion Elite HPE-180t desktop PC with Windows 7 64-bit installed.  I do a fair amount of gaming on my PC and over a year ago I upgraded my graphics card to a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 and my power supply to a Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W unit.  I also have a PEGATRON mATX (9.6" x 9.6") mobo.

I've  recently been looking into adding a SSD to my machine in order to improve performance and organization for some of the PC games I enjoy.  I did some research on the subject and found am a bit confused about whether or not my motherboard will be able to handle the addition of an SSD into my machine.  I've read that I need to make sure my motherboard supports AHCI natively?  How do I check this to be certain that if I purchase an SSD that I will be able to integrate it into my system? 

To be clear, I want to keep using my regular HDD to run my operating system and all the other goodies on my PC, and install a SSD for store and load my games/movies/music etc.  I've been looking at some affordable "mushkin" SSDs that seem to fit the bill.  I can provide the link for these later if necessary.  Thanks for your help!!

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 5 (4,206 Views)

Re: Adding a SSD to my PC without replacing the HDD

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I have reviewed your other posts.  Did you replace the case?

How many hard drives and optical drives are in your PC?

I have basically the same PC as your HPE-180t and I am using a SATA II SSD as a boot drive.  I also install game to the SSD but I don't store music or video.  I have over 40 GB of music and 60 GB of video so I use the typical hard drive for that purpose.

Typically, a SSD is used for the boot drive or for applications requiring faster disk access such as rendering video to disk. Music and video typically do not require SSD speeds. I would recommend that you use the SSD for the boot drive (operating system and programs) where you can get the best performance from your system but it's your decision.

Your PC does support AHCI which supports the Windows trim function.   You can verify that by booting into the bios and review the SATA controller mode settings. AHCI should be the default setting as I have the same motherboard.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-3770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Tutor
bpr5016
Message 3 of 5 (4,197 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hey Big Dave,

Yes I remember you were very helpful in our previous discussions about heat flow and my computer temperatures, glad to see you're still actively posting on these forums.  Thanks for your help!  As of right now, I have not replaced my case, but it's still something I'm planning on doing in the near future.

I've heard of people using a SSD to run their operating system and boot their computer, but I was considering a low-end SSD (one of the 60GB ones listed) primarily for games and am apprehensive about loading my OS and all my other programs onto it.  This sounds like a big operation and I have concerns about low-end SSD space and degrading after a couple years.  Do you know the difference between an mSATA III SSD and a SATA III SSD?  There seems to be a bunch of options on Newegg for the mushkin drives I linked.

Also, please check out the screenshot (below) of the hard drives / optical drives in my PC.  Once I open up my machine and install / hook up the SSD to my PSU would it then appear under the "Hard Disk Drives" section titled something like (B') or (G')?

Drives.jpg

Here comes a dumb question:  How do I boot into the bios to review the SATA controller mode settings?  I thought this was similar to a Registry Edit but haven't figured it out yet.  Thanks for letting me know about my PC supporting AHCI, just wanted to try and double check.

Thanks for your help!

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 4 of 5 (4,187 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

F10 at the HP splash screen will get you into the bios.

AHCI is recommended for use with a SSD but it's not required. Most modern SSDs support garbage collection which does nearly the same at maintaining the SSD.  Check with your SSD manufacturer.

Even if the SATA controller mode is set to RAID and the SSD is not part of an active array, trim should still work.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-3770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Tutor
bpr5016
Message 5 of 5 (4,150 Views)

Great thanks for all the info Big_Dave!  I'm going to order a SSD (one of the more affordable mushkin drives I listed before) and I'll follow-up with how it's working.  Thanks again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation