Question

Top Student
Deaf-Dave
Message 1 of 5 (232 Views)
Accepted Solution

Adding a second hard drive

I have a HP Pavilion P6716F. It currently has a 1TB hard drive (HD#1). I want to add a second 2TB hard drive (HD#2).

I have a SATA connector cable but need to know which SATA port on the Alvorix RS880 to plug it into. There is a white SATA P2 next to a blue SATA P1 that the current hard drive (HD#1) is connected to. Is SATA P2 the correct port to plug the second drive (HD#2) into?

Do I have to supply power to the second drive? If so, it appears that there are spare connectors that could be used. One of them is close by the power supply for hard drive #1. HD#1 is connected to a connector marked P4. Connector P4 is split (siamesed) to another identical connector marked P5. Should the second hard drive (HD#2) be plugged into this connector?

Top Student
kostasus
Message 2 of 5 (211 Views)

Re: Adding a second hard drive

Deaf-Dave,

you need connect data and power cable to HDD. SATA cable should be connected into the mentioned SATA P2 with white colour. Power cable can be found as a free connector from PSU. 

Power off the computer, unplug power cable. Mount HDD, plug in SATA cable to board SATA P2 and HDD connector, plug into HDD power input from power suply.

Plug in power cord, start up computer -> in win there should be installed new HW

regards

kostas

Top Student
Deaf-Dave
Message 3 of 5 (205 Views)

Kostas,

Thank you for your quick reply. I knew i had to plug in the SATA cable but wasn't sure about the power cable.

What is a PSU?

And is it one of the split connectors off the power cable i had mentioned?

Regards, Dave

Top Student
kostasus
Message 4 of 5 (191 Views)

Deaf-Dave,

PSU - Power Suply Unit

It doesn´t matter which one connector you use to suply power into the drive. Use one of free connectors, for example mentioned P5.

kostas
Top Student
Deaf-Dave
Message 5 of 5 (171 Views)

Kostas,

worked like a charm. thanks a bunch. 

Dave

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation