Question

Honor Student
whatsaScrnNm
Message 1 of 4 (250 Views)

Aftermarket coolers compatible with the Hp Pavilion h8 1220 (or the h8 series in general)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I have an HP Pavilion h8-1220 that I use in an office setting. Very happy with the computer in general except that they system is very noisy. This hasn't been a problem up till now, but my office mate happens to be very sensitve to the sound. This particular computer is quiet when idle, but whenever it is doing heavy computations, the tiny stock CPU cooler revs its fan to a surprisingly loud maximum . 

I have seen that this is a common complaint, but nobody seems to talk about low noise aftermarket coolers. I have no problem installing an aftermarket cooler (I normally build my own PCs), but I don't know which coolers will fit inside the case and on the board and I don't have an extensive repository of coolers available to test.

Has anyone done this or can anyone (from HP?) offer advice about what size/brand cooler might fit (e.g. a zalman CNPS9500A).

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 4 (235 Views)

Re: Aftermarket coolers compatible with the Hp Pavilion h8 1220 (or the h8 series in general)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Someone in the past posted a similar question about a heat sink and ended up installing what looked to be a low profile cooler due to the limited width of the HP cabinet.

I suggest that you do some measuring from the base of the existing CPU heat sink/fan to the inner edge of the side panel.  Once you are armed with this information then contact Cooler Master.  I would suggest that you consider a heat sink that can dissipate 125 watts. Some of the aftermarket coolers do require a backing plate. That would require the removal of the motherboard. Another possible issue is the bolt pattern and clearance for the aftermarket cooler.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Teacher
GTODave
Message 3 of 4 (227 Views)

Re: Aftermarket coolers compatible with the Hp Pavilion h8 1220 (or the h8 series in general)

[ Edited ]

Arctic makes great products. Since your processor has a TDP: 95W and with not much room I would suggest the Alpine  64 Plus  @ TDP: 100W.

http://www.arctic.ac/us_en/products/cooling/cpu.html?cpu_socket_amd=98

HP Blackbird 002 - Asus Maximus VI Hero - i7 4770k - Corsair H100i - Samsung 840 Pro SSD - WD Velociraptor x2 - 16 gb Crucial Ballistix Sport - eVGA GTX 580 - eVGA GTX 285 physx dedicated - Topower 1.1 kw PSU - Windows 8.1 Pro 64
Honor Student
whatsaScrnNm
Message 4 of 4 (177 Views)

I decided to go with a CoolerMaster Vortex Plus.

I will mention a couple of details about the installation:

1. The AMD part of the kit that came with the cooler was designed to interact with some standard AMD mount that was expected to be already installed on the mobo. In the h8-1220, this mount was not present, so the AMD mounting hardware was useless.

2. The intel processor brackets provided were adjustable, and the configuration for 1155 socket intel processors nicely spanned the screw holes around the fx8100.

3. The fastners included with the intel brackets were far too large to be used in the threaded holes in this mobo. I had to go to Ace Hardware, buy (for the exorbitant price of $1.50) 4 machine screws of the correct thread and 4 1/8 inch thick nylon washers, and  to appropriately secure the brackets.

The result is a blissfully quiet machine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation