Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
H8-1214
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Does anyone have a list or know  what graphic cards that are compatible with M3970AM-HP(Angelica)?  I'm currently using Asus Radeon HD 7770 Ghz card and Corsair CX600M PSU.  I already know the R series and 700 series and up are not compatible.  I want upgrade to HD 7800 or 7900 series card.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Guiduf,

any gpus from gtx 7xx and up, along with their amd equivalent, will not work with that motherboard. need bios version 8 or newer for the newer cards to work and hp is not going to release a new bios update for that motherboard. at the most i would recommend nvidia gtx 670 since that's the biggest card that will fit the case. if you want to run a newer card you would have to get a whole new computer. a motherboard swap is essentially the same thing and requires formatting the hard drive to accept the new motherboard.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi,

There isn't a list of compatible graphics cards other than what HP may have for the "configure-to-order" models using the same motherboard and BIOS levels.

What BIOS level is your PC running?  It must be version 7 or the NVIDIA 7xx models would have worked.

I suggest that you consider the following graphics cards that will work with a 300 watt power supply. Look for models that do not require an auxillary 6 pin power connector.

MSI NVIDIA GTX N750 TI and the MSI GTX N750 TF . Be sure to get the exact model.

ZOTAC also has a NVIDIA 750 model and this NVIDIA 750 model that are compatible back to PCI-E version 1.1. All of Zotac's NVIDIA 750 models are advertised as backwards compatible to 1.1.

The reality is that there is no a guarantee that any particular graphics card will work in any particular PC even if the graphics card works in other PCs or even the same or similar model PCs.  Know what the return policy is before you buy.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Bios version 7.16

EVGA GeForce GTX 760 didn't work. It turns on and stops at the blue HP start up screen.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Many of the NVIDIA 7xx graphics cards will not run with a HP version 7 BIOS with some exceptions.

The EVGA 660 TI would be an excellent choice.

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

so i would be better off with gtx 600 series card? can i try running 680?

HP Recommended

Hi,

You can try the GTX 680 if it matches up with your power supply. Do some internet research on the GTX 680 and see what issues have been reported.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I try to install aEVGA GeForce GTX 950, and it didn't work. It turns on, beep two time and stops at the blue HP start up screen.

I have uninstall it and install 3 times, still don't work.

Is there any thing I can do, so it could work.

h8-1234

AMD FX(tm)-6120 Six Core Processor 3.50 GHz

10 GG (RAM)

Mother board : HP Angelica Rev:1.2

I changed the power supply for more Watt and to get the 6 pin supply.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Guiduf,

any gpus from gtx 7xx and up, along with their amd equivalent, will not work with that motherboard. need bios version 8 or newer for the newer cards to work and hp is not going to release a new bios update for that motherboard. at the most i would recommend nvidia gtx 670 since that's the biggest card that will fit the case. if you want to run a newer card you would have to get a whole new computer. a motherboard swap is essentially the same thing and requires formatting the hard drive to accept the new motherboard.

HP Recommended

Thank you LHatter84 for the info, I should have read that before bye a new card and power supply.  :Crying:

HP Recommended

look on the bright side: you got an excuse to build your own computer, which is what i ended up doing. :Wink:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.