Question

Student
NICCOLEANDREA
Message 1 of 2 (103 Views)

I was playing my computer... all of a sudden a loud sound then computer crashed.  I let it sit a 15 minutes and was able to log onto it again.  whenI logged into it ... it moved slow slow slow.... then...again... it crashed again.  I did a pc doctor diagnostic and once I got BIOHD-8 told me to back up  .... i managed to get it up again to get a system recovery disc... and it ...again crashed but..diagnostic was telling  me the hard drive was ok now... but it crashed again.... if this is a simple replace the hard drive...then cool... but after reading forums...I am confused...  is this a generic error..telling you hard drive is crashing? could this be a corrupted file that will be fixed with reinstall ? I can do both... but would be easier of I vould get come help 

Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 2 (93 Views)

Re: BIOHD-8

Niccoleandrea, welcome to the forum.

This is a S.M.A.R.T. (Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology) error code telling you that your hard drive has failed or is failing.  You should run the diagnostics from the BIOS to see what it has to say.  If the computer is running, you should backup your personal data before it fails completely.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved.

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe - i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Pro

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!