Question

Student
stryman
Message 1 of 3 (2,878 Views)

Best desktop system for Photoshop with ability to upgrade hardware

I'm not all that knowledgeable about computer systems so forgive me if some of these questions seem basic.  I am going to upgrade an old computer in the near future(pentium 4, circa 2001) and want to use it for photoshop.  I have CS3 now and will probably upgrade to CS4 soon.  I am also learning photoshop also.  I don't know which of HP's computers would be best for photoshop.  I was considering the new m9600t with the core i7 processor.  The exact spec's regarding the memory, hard drives and such I am not sure of.  Would the just announced z series workstations be an alternative?  Which would have more room to upgrade in the future?  Would the workstation run faster with a 15k hard drive and a standard 7200 drive for the scratch disc or would the standard drives in the m9600t, perhaps two at 320, 500, raid 0 best just as good.  If price is not the most important feature would that influence the selection of a workstation verses the m9600t?  Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

Michael

Regents Professor
Kalt
Message 2 of 3 (2,873 Views)

Re: Best desktop system for Photoshop with ability to upgrade hardware

Any new system with at least 3 GB of RAM will be good for Photoshop....
Associate Professor
RoyalSerpent
Message 3 of 3 (2,873 Views)

Re: Best desktop system for Photoshop with ability to upgrade hardware

Get a custom PC.  I7 is too expensive for the small bump in performance.  I'd go with an E8400 and overclock it to +4.0GHz (easy task with this CPU).  Core speed is still KING when working with Photoshop.  You may benefit with 8GB RAM.  Stick with XP Pro 64-bit if you require speed, stability, and compatibility with may proggies.

Also go with a very fast HDD and video card when working with Photoshop.  Dual 1TB Western Digital Carviar Black is best.  2n runner up is 640GB WD Cavair Black.  The Radeon 4830 can be oveclocked to +700MHz.  This is the best buy right now.  If you have $ to burn, then go with 4870 (1MB version).

So why go with a custom PC?  Much higher quality parts and longer warranty.  You can easily upgrade the motherboard and CPU in the future.  The case will have much better ventilation for proper cooling.

RAM...lifetime mfr warr

PSU...3-5 yr mfr warr

HDD...5 yr mfr warr

CPU...3 yr mfr warr

PSU...3-5 yr mfr warr

GPU...3 yr mfr warr

Avoid RAID.  Too much problem and higher chance of data failure.

Final cost should be around $1600 out-the-door (no monitor).  Add another $200 if you must have a quad core CPU.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation