Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I have had my HP tower for years now and over time it has had many many upgrades, Infact I think the only thing left original from the tower is its Boston MSI MS-7525 775 Socketed Motherboard.

My son has recently decided he wants the pc to run a game called Day-z on which is quite CPU intensive.

It has had a Bios Flash a while back (which was hard to find v5.22 I think) so it could utilise the DualCore E8400 3.00MHZ CPU, which it has run absolutely fine with an aftermarket cooler.

He asked me however if the CPU could be further upgraded and at first I said no until I realised that it the motherboard has a Intel G31 Express chipset.

So my question is could the MS-7525 use a Core 2 Quad Q8400 or Q8400S or any Quad for that matter?
And if it can what bios would I need and where can I download it from?

There is not a lot of information about the bios update to enable the E8*** series anywhere on the internet so I have no idea if it also set the bios for the Intel quads either.

My trusty HP is so old now it's almost sentimental and if I can squeeze some extra power out of it that would be great news! as money is more than a little tight since the military medically retired me.

I hope you can help.

Thank you.

Bob.
8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please post the HP product number for your PC.  What video card are you using?

Please post the HP product number for your PC. How to Find the HP Model Number and the HP Product Number or let HP automatically find your PC model number and HP network attached printers.

From the research that I have done on Day-Z, replacing the E8400 with a quad core is not going to make that much of a difference.  The E8400 already exceeds the recommended processor performance by 25%.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended
Thank you for your reply 🙂

I don't have my model number anymore because when I upgraded to my E8400 and custom CPU cooler I also changed the case to one with lots of fans to keep everything cooled better.
The GPU is a 8800GTX that I bought ages ago.

And I understand that the processor does exceed the recommendation as he can play the game but dual cores are still more outdated than quad cores and I want to know if I can have a Quad core, he doesn't know it but if I can get a more powerful quad core in there I might find a newer GPU for him 😉

So would it work? Or not?
I just checked it Definatly has version 5.22 which enabled the E8 series for me 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi,

I did research the quad cores and it wouldn't be worth the effort. Quad cores might even result in a performance decrease.:smileysurprised:

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended
Thank you for researching it for me appreciated as I couldn't find anything about wether I could or couldn't.
So would it work in the motherboard that I have? Is it compatible?

Cheers 🙂
HP Recommended

I know this question is old but would like to update it in case someone got same issue "like me"

I have HP a6613 with same MOBO, MS 7525 boston and I already had E7200 cpu installed.

I wanted to upgrade to E8xxx series which seemed incompatible but i bought from ebay E8500 used for around $20

I installed it and it is working perfectly and noticed great increase in performance 🙂
checked cpuz and even bios and everything good, getting max 3.16 Ghz

HP Recommended

A Quad Core CPU might actually decreae performance in this machine?

Can you you support  this idiotic comment?

HP Recommended

I am the IT guy at our company in Ft.Lauderdale. We picked up a number of Compaqs  few years back under a cheap deal from a local supplier.  

As supplied they came 3GB of ram with Vista, and an E6xxx CPU that ran around  the 2Ghz mark.

Over the next two years,The  Segate brand 250GB HD stamped "made in China" failed in every one or them. I also had to replace. the power supplies in at least half ot them. 

Once the PSU and HD was replaced, the machine run quite stable. 

Over time, I started  taking them out of service. As an expriment, I started popping in E8400 CPU's which  Icould  pick up on eBay for under $10. That revitilalized the machines. 

AFter doing so, I ran Windows 8 on several of them for training and evaluiation purposes.which they did quite well.

With the E8400 and 2 they make great Wndows 7 and Windows 8 machines. 

HP Recommended

Old thread... 😉

Was anybody able to get a Quadcore CPU working on the MS-7525 motherboard?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.