Student
galll
Message 1 of 3 (168 Views)
Accepted Solution

Buying a computer

Hello,

I want to buy the computer 

HP ENVY Phoenix 810-170st Desktop PC

but i want this computer with the graphic card Gefroce gtx Titan.

Is it possible?

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 3 (155 Views)

Re: Buying a computer

[ Edited ]

The configurable options when purchased are in the following image. If you want to install a different video card you will have to purchase it seperately and either install it yourself or have it done at a shop. The GeForce GTX Titan is quite a beast. Personally I would go with a GeForce GTX 690 or an NVIDIA Radeon HD7990. They both outperform the Titan at lower cost.

phoenix options.png

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Intern
hapkiman
Message 3 of 3 (141 Views)

Re: Buying a computer

Why do you need a Titan?  Is it for workstation or heavy compute tasks?   Because if it is for gaming only, you would do better with either the GTX 780 or the GTX 780 Ti (not to mention you would save a few hundred dollars).  Or even the AMD R9 290 or 290x (as soon as they work out the fan/cooling issues which they will eventually). 

The main difference with the GTX 780 cards and the Titan - is that the Titan has much higher double-precision compute performance (which doesn't affect gaming). That is why it is so much more expensive.  Also the Titan comes with 6GB of VRAM as opposed to the GTX 780's 3GB (which is still plenty for gaming at any resolution).

It's personal perference, but I would choose a GTX 780 or 780 Ti over a GTX 690 or Radeon HD 7990, or the Titan.

And if you are using your rig for compute task and really need the Titan, I hope you ordered a i7 4930k or i7 4960x CPU. You'll need it.  The i7 4930k should be just fine.

Also, I'm not so sure the Delta 600 watt PSU which comes stock in the HP Phoenix can handle these high end cards. They will fit inside, but you would be pushing the limit of that PSU and may want to check with some of the experts here (although it's not a big deal to upgrade a PSU and HP now uses standard ATX form factor units). 

I just wouldn't be taking a chance of running on insufficient power, when a decent 750-850 watt Corsair or Antec PSU is only around $100, especially when I was talking about spending $800-$1000 on a graphics card.

That would be ridiculous.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation