Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP s5220f
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My in-laws upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7 on their HP s5220f.  Since that upgrade the CD/dvd drive no longer works or is recogniozed by the computer.  It does not show up in the list of devices in Device manager either.  When you insert a disc it spins up but obliously nothing happens, and from the file explorer window the drive is not visible.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Here's what I found for the solution:

This worked to fix my Windows 10  system. Note this mentions 32-bit but did work for my 64 bit Windows 10. This was taken from  http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03280768 

Resolution 5: Create a registry subkey
Note To use this method, you must be logged on to Windows as an administrator. If you need help verifying that you are an administrator, go to http://support.microsoft.com/gp/admin
Important Follow the steps in this section carefully. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.
To create the registry subkey, follow these steps:
    Press the Windows logo key + R to open the Run box. (or right-click on windows icon in lower left corner)
    Type regedit in the Run box, then press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow
    In the navigation pane, locate the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi
    Right-click atapi, point to New, then click Key.
    Type Controller0, and then press Enter.
    Right-click Controller0, point to New, and then click DWORD(32-bit) Value .
    Type EnumDevice1, and then press Enter.
    Right-click EnumDevice1, click Modify....
    Type 1 in the Value data box, and then click OK.
    Exit Registry Editor.

Restart Computer

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

I will certainly try that solution and see if it works!  Thanks for the link!

HP Recommended
Here's what I found for the solution:

This worked to fix my Windows 10  system. Note this mentions 32-bit but did work for my 64 bit Windows 10. This was taken from  http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03280768 

Resolution 5: Create a registry subkey
Note To use this method, you must be logged on to Windows as an administrator. If you need help verifying that you are an administrator, go to http://support.microsoft.com/gp/admin
Important Follow the steps in this section carefully. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.
To create the registry subkey, follow these steps:
    Press the Windows logo key + R to open the Run box. (or right-click on windows icon in lower left corner)
    Type regedit in the Run box, then press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow
    In the navigation pane, locate the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi
    Right-click atapi, point to New, then click Key.
    Type Controller0, and then press Enter.
    Right-click Controller0, point to New, and then click DWORD(32-bit) Value .
    Type EnumDevice1, and then press Enter.
    Right-click EnumDevice1, click Modify....
    Type 1 in the Value data box, and then click OK.
    Exit Registry Editor.

Restart Computer

HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue with my ENVY 17 - 1195ca

Has anyone get this fixed?

I believe its the driver that's not responding but it's up to date.

HP Recommended

In following your directions to fix windows 10 upgrade with resultant unrecognizes CD drive, when I get to the line that says to, "click DWORD(32-bit) Value " do I still choose this if my computer is Windows 10 64-bit value?  Or should I choose the 64-bit value? 

HP Recommended

ANSWER:  Do NOT use the 64-bit option (even if your computer is 64-bit).  It will not work.  HOWEVER, if you do this change exactly as described it DOES WORK! 

HP Recommended

ANSWER:  If you have a 64-bit Windows 10 system do NOT use the 64-bit option.  Instead do exactly as instructed (with 32-bit option) and it will work!  I did this fix on my HP Pavilion Slimline S5-2010 desktop computer - on which I had upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 - and it works like a charm!  I am extremely happy!  THANK YOU!  😄

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.