HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
04-26-2011 10:36 AM
Let me start at the beginning. Compaq presario F756NR
1. Computer got a nasty bug that removed my cd/dvd rom from bios (it was there and worked before, so I assume the virus is the cause)
2. Computer would not boot to cd to run re-install disc (had to run my external HD into bootloader to re-install windows 7)
3. The bios boot option shows a cd option but it wont boot to CD and device manager does not show any cd/dvd rom or any explanation points any where.
4. I went into REGEDIT to delete the filters, keep getting an error message of " properties cannot be opened, an error is preventing this key from being opened. Details: Access is denied"
5. I unlocked admin account and tried the REGEDIT again with same errors.
6. I did what is recommended later in this this thread and save the stuff to note pad and ran it as administrator from CmdPmt it said successful. I then restarted, still no luck.
7. I tried the next thing suggest which was a REGEDIT #4. No Luck
8. I have tried another CD ROM from a Dell inspiron, It plugs in the light comes on and it start to spin but then does nothing. I know its a good CD ROM from the Dell.
ANY HELP WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON THIS THING FOR TWO DAYS!
01-11-2012 09:09 PM
my pavillion 9903ca does not even show the cd dvd drive in my computer or in computer management. Nor does it recognize the bult in webcam. How do I get it to recognize it even has this hardware...and please recognize, I am technically impaired at best.
01-31-2012 05:37 PM
I have upgraded from vista to windows 7 pro. I now have no dvd/cd drive listed in "my computer" nor in device manager. I have tried many different drivers including pulling drive out and getting name & model from it & searching for a driver that way. no luck I have tried your process here but do not see anything saying upper or lower filters. Perhaps 7 is different. It is a pavillion dv6700. I installed the os with a usb stick. any sugestions?