CD/DVD files not showing in windows, discs not playing (2394 Views)
Honor Student
MIstlhd
Message 1 of 3 (2,394 Views)

CD/DVD files not showing in windows, discs not playing

New problem just started, cd's and dvd's wont play, when I open that drive no files show up in windows. When I click on properties it shows that the disc(s) are full or have data. Tried music CDs, new DVD's, picture discs, various data discs, nothing works. Also plugged in an external drive to a USB port and discs will not play using that either.

Ran HP diagnostics and it says device is working properly(?)

I have done the registry thing for looking for the upper and lower filters, uninstalled dvd drive and re-installed drivers, nothing worked. I also tried a cleaning disk but that would not even play.

Latest changes to computer were: Microsoft automatic update to latest IE version which I un-installed and went back to previous version. Also, my kaspersky antivirus expired and norton activated itself, I uninstalled norton and renewed the kaspersky license.

Im thinking either, the drive is bad or dirty, or its some sort of windows problem.

Help! Thank you

HP pavillion 6540y, windows 7 64b, HP DVD A DH16aal scsi dvd rom device

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 3 (2,360 Views)

Re: CD/DVD files not showing in windows, discs not playing

Hi,

Could be the player software or the DVD itself because you can't play on both places. Anyway, please try this:

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Honor Student
MIstlhd
Message 3 of 3 (2,355 Views)

Re: CD/DVD files not showing in windows, discs not playing

Thank you for the tip. I saw this fix it link on a similar post topic, tried it but it says that no problems were found. Also I have tried several other discs, several brand new with no scratches etc. No files show up in windows.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation