Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Forgot my BIOS supervisor password. So, I reset CMOS memory (CMOS Clear), and now cannot make any CMOS changes that are saved.  At boot, there is now a message that reads "Default BIOS Settings have been reloaded due to BIOS update or checksum issue."

-- There was a BIOS update when the PC was new

-- Recently upgraded to Win 7

-- Did visit HP section for my Pavillion (a6863w) and saw and updated firmware for CD-Burner under Win 7 and updated that

Speculating:

The message suggests that the BIOS may be protecting itself as a result of the CMOS Clear, or possible other firmware update?  Possible cleared original BIOS update?  Why the checksum error and going to a default CMOS setting?

Uncertain if this question needs to be posed to HP or AMD. Phenom(tm) 9150e

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hanspuppa,

I started to pull the CMOS battery to check it on a voltage meter when, under stronger light, I finally realized that the jumper pin settings are reversed for the CLEAR PWD and CLEAR CMOS blocks.  The pins are arranged 123 for CLEAR PWD and 321 for CLEAR CMOS.  The first image of the instructions (below) is the baseline setting for jumpering pins 12 on both CMOS and CMOS_PWD.  I missed the pin numbering sequence on the CMOS CLEAR and thought they were in the same order as the CLEAR_PWD block.  (i.e. The CMOS could not be reset because pins 23 were jumpered when they were believed to be 12).    I wanted to add a suggestion for others who may run into this.  Perhaps any confusion could be avoided with text to explain this, as well as a third image (copy of the first) showing the return to the baseline configuration.  The root cause of confusion over this wsa not being able to read all pin numbers and incorrectly believing the two blocks would have the pins arranged in similar sequence when they are not.

See Attention to Detail !!!  Click to expand CMOS Clear or CMOS_PWD Clear.

My apologies to everyone who looked into this. 

The two nearly adjacent jumper blocks have an inverted pin order.  After clearing (resetting) they should be reset as shown below.  I may have remaining questions on the BIOS update under Win7.

c01635693[1].jpg

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hello SureFoot, Can you enter the BIOS and set the date and time and the BIOS to default settings, save these new settings and exit. The system should reboot normally, if all else is as it should be,

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

The date and time are correct.

-- Cannot make any new changes to BIOS and the date and time are correct

-- Cannot reset a new supervisor password or other settings

-- BIOS issues checksum error at boot and then defaults to the default CMOS configuration.

Believe issue to either be a bad BIOS update (likely) or related to Clearing CMOS (less likely). I actually cannot recall needing to have the BIOS flashed for an update.  The HP Support for this workstation does not show that there ever was a BIOS update to go back.  (I may be thinking of another older machine I had to do that with). 

HP Recommended

Hello SureFoot, If you set a BIOS password, you would need to remove this password before updating the BIOS. You can clear the BIOS password in much the same manner as the CMOS BIOS.

Here  is a link to the BIOS. You would need to clear the BIOS Password before updating the BIOS.

Here  is a link to the information as to how to clear the BIOS Password. Look at the bottom of the sections for this information.

After you clear the BIOS password, then update the BIOS, enter the BIOS and make sure that all the settings are correct, save these settings and reboot the system.

HP Recommended

Thank you.  Not to pick nits, but just to be clear:

•  I previously cleared the CMOS password using the on-board BIOS jumper
  • That did clear the password
  • You're suggesting that it also cleared the BIOS so the BIOS now also needs to be updated (presumably again if it had been updated earlier)

Many thanks for the links to HP BIOS / flash.  I found the HP support page with links to AMD and Intel (along with the caveat to get BIOS updates from HP and not the orig manufacture)

• Will check both links, though I am under the impression I need only update the BIOS now
  • Just need to make sure what if any difference there is in clearing the BIOS and BIOS Password.  (i.e. Clearing the BIOS via the jumper does both)

Thank you

HP Recommended

... Darn (and Duh).  Wish I had found this reference earlier!  Thanks again for the CMOS links.

• The manual I pulled from the HP support site didn't have this information.
  • I can tell by looking at the illustration that I cleared the CMOS and not the CMOS password. (Overlooked and did not see the CMOS Password clear jumper)
  • Clearing the CMOS most likely does clear the CMOS password in the process of clearing the BIOS.

🙂 Feelling sheepish on this one.

Updating the BIOS cleared to the default should solve the problem.  Will do and let you know.

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

Hello SureFoot, Not Nit Picking at all. There are two jumpers on the motherboard. One is for the BIOS Password and the other is for the CMOS BIOS. You would need to clear the BIOS Password first. The password may be locking you out of the BIOS settings as it is designed to do. The onboard CMOS jumper is not the same as the BIOS password jumper. They are close to each other on the board but are not the same.

After you clear the Password, save your settings and reboot,  you should be able to enter the BIOS and access the settings in the BIOS. If you already updated the BIOS with the HP BIOS, you may not need to do it again, but I suspect that since you had a BIOS Password, the BIOS update did not  install correctly or not at all. You should never try to update a HP BIOS with another from another vendor, even if the motherboard is made by Asus, Foxcon, MSI or other motherboard manufacturer. All OEMs write their own BIOS for their own purposes, and another manufacturer's BIOS mat very well brick the HP BIOS.

HP Recommended

Thanks again for the detail.

I did not have an opportunity to do this last night due to others needing to use the computer.

But, I did have some additional questions and thoughts on this issue:

-- After downloading sp43099 yesterday, when I went to store it I realized I already had a copy (probably from an update under Vista before upgrading to Win 7).  My question relates to the fact that I vaguely recall doing that when the machine was new, but theHP Total Care Advisor, HP PC Update, and PC Health check software either have not detected the issue, or its checked off somewhere as already having been downloaded and installed previously.

-- What partially through me off was that when I went the HP web page looking for BIOS updates to a6863w, I didn't see any listed, which lead me to believe at the time I may have been thinking about anohter machine and not this one.  (See a6863w web page ).  It left me wondering why I didn't spot sp43099 earlier when I was looking for BIOS updates from that location.  It isn't listed or I missed it.

Based on the additional detail you provided (for which I am grateful), both the CMOS and CMOS Password need to be separately cleared before running the sp43099 again. 

-- I did attempt to run sp43099 again without clearing the CMOS Password and noted before clicking Ok to proceed  that MS-7548 Version 5.13 only lists versions of Vista and not Win 7 or Win 7 Pro.  This left me wondering if sp43099 is OK to use with Win 7 or Win 7 Pro, or if there is a possibility of needing to roll back to Vista, run sp43099 for the BIOS update, and then roll back to Win 7 Pro.

-- After clicking OK to proceed with the update, it issued error 9998.  "Your system does not meet the minimum requirements for this update.  Update has been cancelled." 

-- Thought I'd pass this information on before clearing the CMOS Password and CMOS memory again as suggested.

-- Will get back to you after doing that later today.

Primary Questions here:

-- Is sp43009 for MS-7548 compatible with Win 7 / Win 7 Pro ?

-- HP Total Care detection of CMOS changes / default reversion ?

HP Recommended

Hello SureFoot, I would check the current BIOS and if it is version 5.13, then you would already have the latest version available. Many times, HP want install a BIOS from another operating system than the one that the BIOS was released for. Example: If the BIOS was released when Vista was the current operating system, and you upgraded to Windows 7, and then tried to update the BIOS that was released for Vista, you would get the error. I don't use HP Total Care, since there have been many Members here that report issues with it. I just look for the updates manually. Can you advise if you are now able to access the BIOS and change any of the settings after you clearded the BIOS Password?

HP Recommended

Reset Windows 7 password with password reset disk
Requirement: an USB flash drive, download it from:
http://www.lost-password.net/products/passwordrecovery.html

Windows 7 was designed to be able to create password reset disk without any other third party tools. If you remember the password, you could create a password reset disk through Windows 7's control panel in advance. And if you forgot Windows 7 password and was unable to log on to your computer, then you could use the disk to reset Windows 7 password. Now you could follow these simple steps to create one:

Step 1. Start your computer and log on Windows 7.

Step 2. Insert an USB flash drive into your computer.

Step 3. Click Start > Control Panel > User Accounts and Family Safety > User Accounts > Create a password reset disk

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.