CPU fan constantly running loud - P6240F Desktop (28945 Views)
Top Student
actionj
Message 1 of 22 (28,945 Views)
Accepted Solution

CPU fan constantly running loud - P6240F Desktop

Similar problems have been posted here but since my model, motherboard and BIOS version are different I'll start a new post.

As of late last week, wk of 6/6/2011, my HP P6240f desktop's CPU fan started running very fast and loud constantly. The computer is about a year and a half old, and was virtually silent up until last week when the fan began spiking from nearly silent to running fast and loud for extended periods of time, every few minutes. I've opened the computer and cleaned any dust that collected but it still runs loud. Even when I am not running heavy programs the fan runs loud. For instance as I write this the fan is very loud and according to Windows task manager the CPU usage is at 30% and memory at 2.39 GB of a total 8 GB.

Another post talks about a similar problem http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Desktop-PC-questions/To-all-with-M2N78-LA-CPU-fan-constantly-chan...

Although I have a different motherboard and BIOS then what others list it sounds like there must be a similar problem casuing it. Any help would be appreciated, my warrenty has expired but I will try calling HP support and see what happens.

Grad Student
JiriT
Message 2 of 22 (28,900 Views)

Re: CPU fan constantly running loud - P6240F Desktop

Try checking all screws holding heatsink in place for potential breaking of plastic arround any of them. This might sometimes happen and heatsink is then not seating properly on CPU. You may also purchase silicone grease, remove CPU heatsink, clean its surface bya a tissue as well as heatsink and  apply new silicone grease. The old one might have got dry and hard and loose the thermal conductance.

JT
I work for HP but my posts and replies are my own.

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Top Student
actionj
Message 3 of 22 (28,840 Views)

Hi JT,

You were 100% right, thanks for the info. I checked and sure enough the 2 screw mounts broke so the CPU heatsink was not sitting properly. I just bought a new CPU fan with heatsink and all is back to normal. Its back to being super quiet!

Thanks again!

Honor Student
dramaroq
Message 4 of 22 (28,470 Views)

JT,

Two days ago, one of the fans on my HP P6240f started running more frequently than normal.  Then yesterday, it was running almost constantly.  I called HP to try and get help (the computer is about 1 1/2 years old and has never been a problem  until now.  I got some fellow in India, I guess that is outsourcing!  He wanted to get  into my computer but I refused to allow it.  I googled to try and find out what the problem might be and was led to your comment regarding the broken seal on the heat sink and the screws not securing it and the fan over the CPU.  Being a grandpa and not having much knack for computers, I asked my son if he could help.  He willingly took the cover off and we investigated to find that your answer to the previous question fit perfectly for us.  The silicon seal was broken on the heat sink and the plastic casing where two of the screws go, was broken on the bottom so the screws would not secure.

My next question for you is:  Do you know if this can be ordered through HP?  If so, what would the part number be for that computer CPU fan.  We looked and came up with:  #1322-006D0H2.  Is this correct, or do you know?  Also, once we order the fan and heat sink, what is recommended in terms of reinstalling the new fan/heat sink.  I suspect that the old dry silicon grease has to be scraped off.  Where would one purchase the silicon grease.  I am not living in a place where I can go to a local computer store as I am stationed overseas.

Thanks for your time.  :

V/r

Honor Student
TeKola
Message 5 of 22 (26,840 Views)

I bought Arctic Silver Thermal Compound to fix my PS3 at RadioShack for about $10.  I have same noisy fan problem with my work laptop but not comfortable taking it apart.

Honor Student
ItsLindaOrMe
Message 6 of 22 (25,741 Views)

JT, that is my problem exactly....  I found the plastic cage securing the fan and heat sink almost completely shattered and lying in the bottom of the case.  Can you help me identify the part number so I can replace it?  Thanks very much for your help in advance!

Kevin F.

Honor Student
ItsLindaOrMe
Message 7 of 22 (25,734 Views)

also, the computer is shutting down with any kind of load on it... is the fan issue causing this also? overheating I guess? thanks again.
Grad Student
JiriT
Message 8 of 22 (25,722 Views)

Hi Kevin,

You can go to the local store and pick any of the heatsink for Intel 775 socket with TDP 95W or more. If you want to have some silent one you may surf the net and make your choice. E.g. here

http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/intel-socket-775-coolers.html

Good luck

JT

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Grad Student
JiriT
Message 9 of 22 (25,721 Views)

Exactly. CPU gets quickly overheated and the thermal protection shuts unit down.
RGDS
JT

Student
lmcguire61
Message 10 of 22 (24,315 Views)

I read all of the answers but I am 71 and do not know how to take the computer apart.  I already had a computer repair man take it apart and he didn't feel that it was loud.  When I am working and  it is quiet,  It is very loud.  My husband who never thinks things are broken, says it is too loud.  How do I find someone to repair it if I can't do it?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation