Question
CPU fan failure in Compaq Presario SG3450IL
Replies (23)

Provost
erico
Message 11 of 24 (522 Views)

Re: CPU fan failure in Compaq Presario SG3450IL

[ Edited ]

That is interesting. It is nice to hear that you had no issues installing either OS.

Take a close look at the CPU fan header on the motherboard. Perhaps there is a problem there.

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
raaz_oddguy
Message 12 of 24 (524 Views)

Hi,

Also let me know whether can I overcome this problem by making BIOS update for my motherboard. Is it recommended or not?
Provost
erico
Message 13 of 24 (517 Views)

I did not see an available BIOS update on the web support server for your desktop PC's motherboard.

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having

Tutor
raaz_oddguy
Message 14 of 24 (512 Views)

Hi,

When I tried to re-install the windows vista(32-bit) o.s, again the same problem persisted. This is happening with both windows xp and 7 o.s's also. Also I found a bios update at the following link:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=pv-73126-1

Kindly check and confirm.

Regards
Raaz
Provost
erico
Message 15 of 24 (507 Views)

Confirmed as a vaild update. Go ahead and update the BIOS.  This may cure the issue.

Did you inspect the CPU fan header on the motherboard as I suggested? What were the results of the inspection?

Tutor
raaz_oddguy
Message 16 of 24 (498 Views)

Hi,

I did not get exactly what is meant by "CPU fan header". Can you explain me in detail?

Regards,

Raaz

Provost
erico
Message 17 of 24 (495 Views)

It is pretty straightforward. Unplug the CPU fan connector and inspect the header (that is the connector side on the motherboard) for missing/ broken/discolorered/burned pins where it plugs in. If the fan does spin up, then you should pay particular attention to the condition of pins 3 & 4 .

Mobo.png

fanhdr.png

Tutor
raaz_oddguy
Message 18 of 24 (465 Views)

Hi,

Thank you very much for the detailed explaination. I had checked the CPU fan  header on the motherboard, but all the pins are pretty good. Can you kindly explain the functionalities of pins 3 & 4 in this header. And by the way, when I am trying to install Windows Vista o.s on the PC, the same restart issue is occuring and finally I failed to make the BIOS update also.

Regards,

Raaz

Tutor
raaz_oddguy
Message 19 of 24 (462 Views)

Hi,

Also let me know the socket model or type that comes with the CPU fan on the board.

Regards,

Raaz

Provost
erico
Message 20 of 24 (448 Views)

raaz_oddguy wrote:

Hi,

Thank you very much for the detailed explaination. I had checked the CPU fan  header on the motherboard, but all the pins are pretty good. Can you kindly explain the functionalities of pins 3 & 4 in this header. And by the way, when I am trying to install Windows Vista o.s on the PC, the same restart issue is occuring and finally I failed to make the BIOS update also.

Regards,

Raaz

Pin 3 is the speed sensor for the BIOS and pin 4 is for speed control by the BIOS.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation