Question

Top Student
jdanniel
Message 1 of 3 (1,509 Views)

Can I Watch Cable TV Through My Computer Without an Installed TV Tuner?

Hello.  I have an HP Pavilion  Elite HPE-310t running Windows 7 Home Premium, 32-bit.

To the best of my knowledge, I ordered it without a TV Tuner.

I currently do not have Cable TV but plan on getting it this week.  However, I want to run cable TV through my computer so I can watch it on my monitor.  I'm assuming this is possible, but is it possible to do without a TV tuner installed?  If it is possible, how do you change the channels?

If it is not possible without a TV tuner, then must I get a card, or are USB TV tuners available?  If USB TV tuners are available, and will work with cable TV (Comcast), how good are they?  Can anyone recommend a decent one?

Thank you!   J. Danniel

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 2 of 3 (1,494 Views)

Re: Can I Watch Cable TV Through My Computer Without an Installed TV Tuner?

It is not possible without a ATSC/NTSC/QAM Tuner use some sort. Also, depending on how Comcast transmits the signal, you may or may not get anything. If Comcast sends an analog signal, you get it.... if Comcast sends clear QAM signal, you should get it... if Comcast send encrypt QAM, you will need a covertor box or DTA from them.

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
Master's Graduate
spacechild
Message 3 of 3 (1,483 Views)

Re: Can I Watch Cable TV Through My Computer Without an Installed TV Tuner?

Hi jdanniell: I have a HPE 410y with a Huppauge 950Q USB TV Tuner stick.(this is the only model with cable capability) you can also connect this model to a cable box as well It's quite good as far as reception goes pretty good sound as well

if you get it follow the instructions included & if you have Comecast consult with them as well because it may not be compatible with their signal

if everything checks out make sure you attach it to the rear USB ports because the front ones might not have enough power to run it.

then follow what you see on the monitor especially the set up page

good luck

hope this helps as well as enlightens

spacechild

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation