Question

Student
jg1096
Message 1 of 4 (967 Views)

Can I add a USB 3.0 port to my Pavilion e9150t?

I would like to add a USB 3.0 port to my computer, Pavilion e9150t   The motherboard in my computer is the IPMTB-TK (Truckee).  Is my computer compatible with the pci cards that add usb 3.0 ports?  If so, which expansion slot should I use? 

My expansion slots are

Two pci express 2.0 x 16 graphics

One pci express x4; and

One pci express x1

Does it matter which one I uae?  Some materials from HP note that additional PCI express x1 cards can be installed in any of those slots, but I wondered if one would be faster than the other.

Thanks very much.

John

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 2 of 4 (934 Views)

Re: Can I add a USB 3.0 port to my Pavilion e9150t?

In searching for USB 3.0 adapters, it seems that the manufacturer will specify which slot to use.  On some it says that a PCIe-x1 is OK, on some others it states PCIe-x4.  So check the recommendations.  I would not use one in a PCIe - x16 unless there is not any need to use that slot for any anything else (like a video card).

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Honor Student
new82709
Message 3 of 4 (901 Views)

Thanks!
Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 4 of 4 (895 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello new82709, I was inclined to be of the same mind as TheOldMan's suggestion about useing the PCIe x16, until I read This Review.

This review shows very little if any performance increase in useing the PCIe x16 slot.

You might want to take a look at the review and see what you think.

However, after taking a look at the motherboard layout, you have two PCIe x16 slots and a PCIe x4 slot in between them with one PCIe x1 slot on the very end of the motherboard.

Depending on which video card you have, the PCIe x4 slot may not be available due to the video card possibly covering the PCIe x4 slot.

If this is the case, you would need to use the PCIe x16 slot or go for a PCIe x1 version card.

If you are not using the second PCIe x16 slot, I would opt for this slot to install the PCIe x4 USB addon card.

Here  is the link that shows the motherboard layout for your system.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation