Can I replace front usb 2.0 ports with 3.0 - if so how? (974 Views)
Honor Student
MFinMO
Message 1 of 4 (974 Views)
Accepted Solution

Can I replace front usb 2.0 ports with 3.0 - if so how?

I have an HP p6653w 64-bit with Windows 7 that currently has 2 usb 2.0 ports on the front.  I want to replace them with usb 3.0 ports but I'm not sure if I can or the steps to do it if I can?  HP support told me to use  Buffalo USB 3.0 PCI Express Interface Card for the back replacement, but I've got a portable toshiba hard drive that has a very short usb cord, so I would prefer to just swap out at the front.  Thanks.

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 4 (958 Views)

Re: Can I replace front usb 2.0 ports with 3.0 - if so how?

MFinMO wrote:

..., but I've got a portable toshiba hard drive that has a very short usb cord, so I would prefer to just swap out at the front.  Thanks.

Hi,

There are many PCIe cards which have 2 external and 2 internal USB 3.0 ports. You can use internal ports and connect to the front but you need a bit of skill. Quick, cheap and easy: buy an extention USB 3.0 cable such as one of these:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=usb+3.0+extension+cable&hl=en&tbo=u&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENAU282&source=un...

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Honor Student
MFinMO
Message 3 of 4 (955 Views)

Thanks for the reply.  I'll probably do that for the rear, but I want to go ahead and replace the front.  I'm not worried about tackling it, I just want to see a step by step first & know which replacement to get.  I saw a step by step on replacing the front usb ports for another hp desktop on this forum, so I'm sure there's one out there for mine.

Provost
banhien
Message 4 of 4 (954 Views)

Hi,

All standard pins on USB ports are the same.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation