Question

Honor Student
eca30224
Message 1 of 6 (614 Views)
Accepted Solution

Can I use any ATX motherboard to replace a failed mobo from an HP Pavilion 1600n?

HP Pavilion 1600n. Turns on by itself when you plug the power chord to it. No video, fan blowing. I have replaced the ram & the power supply & disconnected the connection for both the card reader & usb readers at the front panel. No changes. If I misdiagnosed this please let me know. If not, please tell me if I can just replace it w/ any mobo. I don't mind reinstalling the OS from scratch.

Honor Student
eca30224
Message 2 of 6 (592 Views)

Re: Can I use any ATX motherboard to replace a failed mobo from an HP Pavilion 1600n?

Oh yes, I have even pulled the ram from it, it didn't make a beeping sound. Can I replace this with any ATX mobo or do I need to use one that is made for HP(ASUS).

Teacher
Andrew_P
Message 3 of 6 (588 Views)

Re: Can I use any ATX motherboard to replace a failed mobo from an HP Pavilion 1600n?

You can use a ATX motherboard , just make sure all the hardware you have are compatibel with it..

Click on Kudos sin on left to say " Thanks"

Grad Student
JiriT
Message 4 of 6 (576 Views)

You can go for non HP MB. It has to be uATX format as ful ATX MB having 5 PCI/E slots would not fit into the chassis. But consider that with the retail MB you would not be able to use HP restore media as MS Win OEM licence is locked to HP BIOS to prevent piracy. Te information regarding the HP exact system identification is Tattooed to MB DMI and it must be matching to the information on the recovery media. Otherwise it would not work. This information can only be input by HP authorized service upon MB replacement. If you would use retail Windows you can replace MB for any other compatible. But you will have to install appropriate drivers for some components like VGA card, WL LAN or so. These may be found on the HP support pages for your Pavilion unit.

JT
I work for HP but my posts and replies are my own.

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Associate Dean
wb2001
Message 5 of 6 (566 Views)

I have seen your problem on my bench, so this might help:

1) Replace the coin battery.

2) Run the tests:http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph04760&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=...

To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved.
You can render both Solution and KUDO

The Law of Effect states that positive reinforcement increases the probability of a behavior being repeated. (B.F.Skinner). You toss me points, and I perform better.

(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
HP m9200t CTO,Win7 Pro 32 bit. 4GB RAM, ASUS 550Ti 2GB, Rosewill 630W. 1T HD SATA 3Gb/s
Custom Asus P8P67, I7-2600k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX660 2GB, 750W Corsair, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Custom Asus P8Z77, I7-3770k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX670 2GB, 750W Corsair, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus
Honor Student
eca30224
Message 6 of 6 (531 Views)

Thank you. Your suggestion fixed the issue! I never knew that replacing the cmos battery would fix the issue of no video, pc turnining on as soon as you plug power into it & no beep in the system even after turnining on the pc without a ram.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation