Question

Honor Student
akfg
Message 1 of 6 (634 Views)
Accepted Solution

Can someone please tell me if my HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC can handle a 2TB Internal Hard Drive?

Additional info:

• System Type: X64-Based PC
  • Processor: Intel(r) Core(tm) i5 CPU M460 @2.53 GHz, 2534 MHz, 2 Core(s) 4 Logic....
  • Bios Version/Date: Hewlett-Packard F.25, 1/12/2011
  • SMBIOS Version: 2.6
  • Intalled Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
  • Total Physical Memory: 7.80 GB

Also, I read that I might have to update my BIOS for this to "read" the entire drive, would that be the case in this situation?

I would mostly like to play video games faster in addition to having more (larger) programs installed.

Thank you for your help, I appreciate your advice.

Master's Graduate
spacechild
Message 2 of 6 (603 Views)

Re: Can someone please tell me if my HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC can handle a 2TB Internal Hard Driv

Hello akfg!: As long as the Notebook can run Windows 7 it can handle up to 2.2TB HD without it automatically adding a 2nd partition automatically on the HD as for a BIOS update I wouldn't try it because the risk is too great that you could lose it via a bad flash!

hope this helps you

spacechild

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 3 of 6 (602 Views)

Re: Can someone please tell me if my HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC can handle a 2TB Internal Hard Driv

Hi:

You also need to make sure the 2 TB HDD has the same physical dimenstions as your current one, or it may not fit in the drive bay.

Some 1 and 2 TB HDD's are thicker than 500GB hard drives.

Paul

Honor Student
akfg
Message 4 of 6 (599 Views)

thank you Paul!
Honor Student
akfg
Message 5 of 6 (599 Views)

Thanks spacechild!
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 6 (598 Views)

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation