Question

Honor Student
Chaz545
Message 1 of 4 (6,836 Views)

Can't connect to wireless network

My new Pavilion 6750 sees wireless network but won't connect.  Says "the adapter is not connected".  Advice please.
Provost
erico
Message 2 of 4 (6,826 Views)

Re: Can't connect to wireless network

Hi,

Try turning off your firewall temporarily and changing the SSID for your adapter to match the SSID of your Wireless router. You will have to match the security settings of your adapter to the security settings of your router. Also go into  the web graphical user interface of your router to make sure that security settings and SSID match. You have not stated which OS you are using. You will need to go into Services to make sure that WZC (Windows Wireless Zero Config in XP and WLAN Autoconfig in Vista) Service is set to automatic.You can get to services through the Control panel or by typing services.msc from Start --> run in XP or typing services from  Start --> in the Start Search box in Vista and pressing the enter key.

Let us know how it goes. These are generic instructions since you also have not said whether or not your wireless adapter comes with it's own software. More information from your side is better.

Regards,

Eric

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
Chaz545
Message 3 of 4 (6,813 Views)

Runs Vista Home Premium; New computer runs find on hard wire Ethernet connection but says that Wireless adapter is not connected when trying to connect wireless;  using D-link wireless router DI-524, WEP type 802.11g; in the past new laptops have been able to log onto network with only my network password;

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 4 (6,811 Views)

[ Edited ]

HI,

OK..Control Panel --> Network and Sharing Center --> connect to a network (on the left hand side. If you do not see the onboard nic as available then go back to Control Panel --> System --> Device Manager. Check to see if the network adapter has a driver loaded and is active. If it is active and you can see activity at the back of your PC on the leds where you  have your CAT5 connector plugged in. One led is power the other is activity. If you see activity and you can't connect then your firewall program is giving you problems or your Cable / ADSL modem is not allowing the connection and needs to be configured.You should see on the front of your router a lit LED which shows the LAN port as connected.

Here is a link to installing and configuring your D-Link router. Follow the instructions and you should have no problems.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Eric

Message Edited by erico on 01-17-2009 07:23 AM

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation