Question

Honor Student
RodgerW
Message 1 of 4 (2,313 Views)

Can't see SCSI drives in my computer in XP but they show up in device manager and Array Manager

Dear PersonWhoKnowsWhatTheyAreDoingAndIsKindEnoughToHelpMe, 

I got a popup error the other day:

Array Management Service: Array 1, Disk SAMSUNGSP1614C (Ch.1, id0) Disk Media Error at LBA 0 cmd=0x20 status=0x51

Close this popup window and then open Array Manager to resolve the issue.

So I closed the popup and opened array manager but there wasn't anything there that lead me to a resolution.  I got distracted and came back a while later, continued using the PC for a while and then got the popup again.  Still nothing in Array Manager so I rebooted to see if that would make the error go away (it is windows after all).  Now it won't boot into windows at all.  It gets to the XP splash and just sits and spins a while until it crashes out and starts the reboot sequence over.  It dos now prompt me for restoring last known good - which doesn't work.

So at this point I figure I have a bad drive.  I have a few extra drives laying about the house so I slaved it to the DVD and booted up to it.  I couldn't do much of anything so I popped in the recovery CDs from HP and wiped it and booted to it.  At this point I am getting into XP on the slaved drive.  In device manager I see the promise card and the SCSI drives.  In the array manager I see the SCSI drives also.  I don't see them in My computer though so I can't transfer data off them and onto the IDE drive that is slaved to the DVD.

I tried changing the IDE motherboard port from 1 to 0 or 2 to 1, however they are numbered to no effect.

I also unplugged the IDE drive and booted to the SCSI drive again just to be sure that I didn't do something exceedingly daft and reimage the SCSI drive when I meant to do the IDE drive and it turns out I didn't  do anything THAT stupid. Go figure.

So XP sees the drives but won't let me at them.... any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Rodger

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 4 (2,291 Views)

Re: Can't see SCSI drives in my computer in XP but they show up in device manager and Array Manager

HI,

What is your HP product name and model number?

regards,

erico

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
RodgerW
Message 3 of 4 (2,287 Views)

Re: Can't see SCSI drives in my computer in XP but they show up in device manager and Array Manager

HP Pavillion D4100E

It has a promise controller card with Samsung drives

Honor Student
RodgerW
Message 4 of 4 (2,250 Views)

bump

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation