Can the i-5 3570k processor be safely overclocked with IPMMB-FM motherboard? (616 Views)
Top Student
Josh_L
Message 1 of 7 (616 Views)

Can the i-5 3570k processor be safely overclocked with IPMMB-FM motherboard?

[ Edited ]

My question is can the i-5 3570k processor be safely overclocked with the IPMMB-FM (Formosa) motherboard?

I would also like to know if it would be safe in general for someone like to me(who has never OCed before)to OC this with a computer that it pretty much entirely stock HP parts?

I am aware that this may void my warranty.

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 2 of 7 (590 Views)

Re: Can the i-5 3570k processor be safely overclocked with IPMMB-FM motherboard?

When requesting assistance, please provide the full HP model name and/or product number of the computer in question.

Here are the specs for the IPMMB-FM (Formosa) motherboard. Here are the BIOS settings for the Formosa motherboard.   According the BIOS settings page;

CAUTION: Certain PCs with this motherboard and BIOS allow overclocking of the processor/bus. Overclocking is not supported by HP and risks severely damaging internal compontents.

CAUTION: Information stored by the BIOS is essential and changing certain settings can render your system unusable (until the BIOS is reset). BIOS settings should not be changed unless you are certain the change does not negatively impact the system.

Overclocking means pushing the system and components past their designed limits. Overclocking can lead to system instability and possible damage to the computer. If you have never overclocked a computer, now isn't really the time to start. One bad move and you may end up with a very expensive door stop. This feature was added primarily for enthusiasts which desired more control over their computer.

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
Honor Student
jamcracker
Message 3 of 7 (533 Views)

Re: Can the i-5 3570k processor be safely overclocked with IPMMB-FM motherboard?

[ Edited ]

{Content Removed} The question is if the system in question supports for overclocking or not. I looked through the bios you referred and there aren't any switches that tell me it can even enable or disable overclocking. You could have simply said no. If overclocking is so dangerously unusable, why do you think intel sells overclocking chip and you charge us more for it?  I am doing the research to see just that and I won't buy from HP because of your product is behind the time compaired with other manufacturers.

Master's Graduate
spacechild
Message 4 of 7 (525 Views)

hello jamcracker!: the only reason Intel offers that chip is to meet a certain price & feature level

& when that happens HP & other OEM's usually disable everything so that the company won't be liable incase

of accidents!

spacechild

Honor Student
jamcracker
Message 5 of 7 (517 Views)

One can always choose any number of reasons for not supporting certain features. It is just that in this case, the overclocking was the whole purpose for that chip and intel even made a specifial name for that.

I have seen other reputable vendors do support that. For example, Asus has products that completely support overclocking. It is as easy as 1 2 3. Really, flip a few setting in the bois menu and it will let you know what sort of stability it  is.    I didn't hear Asus had an excuse for not supporting overclocking. On the contractry they sold many of machines. I sure would opt for that.

Master's Graduate
spacechild
Message 6 of 7 (497 Views)

to jamcracker: Indeed as an example that I wanted to mention if time hadn't run out on me

I also own a 2001 HP Pavilion 7965.

which has the Asus PB4LA aka Amazon motherboard I found out that it had a 8x

clock multiplier as one of the BIOS options.

much like you I had visions of overclocking dancing between my two ears(a rocket computer!) & it allowed me to select it as well but alas it didn't work & I think one of my fellow forum members told me why & the consequences.

Esta la vida!

spacechild

Honor Student
jamcracker
Message 7 of 7 (492 Views)

[ Edited ]

Check out the forum on tomshardware.com and anandtech.com. There are many people have successfully running overclocking on the very same processor i7-3770K to 4.2 reliablly.   The point is if you don't overclock there is no obvious reason to purchase this chip and pay more for the minumum gain of 0.1 ghz in clockspeed compared just purchase the system with a i7-3770 (without the K) and save yourself $100 dollars or more base on HP's pricing. Your choice.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation