Question

Top Student
HalP
Message 1 of 18 (18,750 Views)

Caps Lock indicator in lower right of screen

When I hit Caps Lock, a display pops up in the lower right corner of the screen to notify me of the change.  It looks like this:

http://i55.tinypic.com/15xez9.png

How do I stop this from happening?  I've found a bunch of workarounds via Google, and they all either don't work for me or don't apply.

Distinguished Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 2 of 18 (18,705 Views)

Re: Caps Lock indicator in lower right of screen

Looks like you have a wireless (bluetooth) keyboard.

Easy way (if you don't use Bluetooth)

1. Click Start.
  2. Type MSCONFIG.
  3. Allow User Account Control? - click Yes.
  4. Click Startup tab.
  5. Remove check marks from "Bluetooth Software" and/or "HP Desktop Keyboard".
  6. Restart computer.

If you want to only shut down the little graphical presentation and you want to keep the bluetooth icon, use the steps above to prevent "HP Desktop Keyboard" from loading, but do not remove the checkmark next to bluetooth.

And then prevent the OSD for the bluetooth caps lock indicator by making a minor change in the registry:

1. Click Start.
  2. Type REGEDIT.
  3. Allow User Account Control? - click Yes.
  4. To backup your registry (in case soething goes haywire), select Computer, click File menu, click Export, give a name and save.
  5. After backing up registry, open each of the following registry values (the little folders) in this path:  HKEY_LOCAL_MCHINE_\SOFTWARE\Widcomm\BTConfig\General\
  6. Double-click the value KeyIndication in the list on the right.
    Change the hex value from a one (1) TO A ZERO (0).
  7. Close the registry editor window and restart your computer. You don't need to save anything - it happens on the fly (scary).
... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
Top Student
HalP
Message 3 of 18 (18,688 Views)

It's not a Bluetooth keyboard, as far as I can tell.

I don't see "Allow User Account Control?" in MSCONFIG, and I don't see anything about Bluetooth under Startup.

Associate Dean
wb2001
Message 4 of 18 (18,680 Views)

I have the same indicator on my monitor, but i am using a (wired) PS2 keyboard.

What do you find so annoying about a  task bar icon?

To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved.
You can render both Solution and KUDO

The Law of Effect states that positive reinforcement increases the probability of a behavior being repeated. (B.F.Skinner). You toss me points, and I perform better.

(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
HP m9200t CTO,Win7 Pro 32 bit. 4GB RAM, ASUS 550Ti 2GB, Rosewill 630W. 1T HD SATA 3Gb/s
Custom Asus P8P67, I7-2600k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX660 2GB, 750W Corsair, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Custom Asus P8Z77, I7-3770k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX670 2GB, 750W Corsair, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus
Top Student
HalP
Message 5 of 18 (18,675 Views)

It is not a taskbar icon; it is a pop-up notification that appears when I hit Caps Lock.  I find it annoying because it is obtrusive and unwanted.

Any advice on how to get rid of it?

Top Student
HalP
Message 6 of 18 (18,649 Views)

Just bumping this...

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 7 of 18 (18,638 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Hal,

Bumping doesn't work on this forum.  Please only post your issue once so everyone can see the suggestions and what didn't work for you.

Let's see if we can narrow down the issue. Open the run Window and enter: MSCONFIG

Go to the Startup Tab and disable everything then apply. Now reboot. Does the CAPS popup appear. If it doesn't then one the Startup tasks is the culprit. You will have to use the process of elimination.

If the CAPS popup still appears then bo back into MSCONFIG --> Startup Tab and re-enable everything then apply. Now go the Services Tab and check the box to hide all Microsoft Services then disable all the others then apply. Now reboot.

Did is CAPS popup appear?  If it doesn't then one the Startup tasks is the culprit. You will have to use the process of elimination.

I have seen where the BTTRAY.exe on some PCs causes the CAPS popup display.  This may or may not be the casue of your issue.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Distinguished Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 8 of 18 (18,603 Views)

[ Edited ]

That particular graphical pop-up is related to BTTRAY.EXE. Please see my previous post. If you bring up task manager (press CTR+SHIFT+ESC) and see the task BTTRAY, then this should confirm it for you. If you have an HP Wireless Keyboard, then yes - you have bluetooth. It's built into the little USB dongle receiver for the mouse and keyboard. There is another graphic pop-up not related to BTTray mentioned in my previous post that also comes into play here.

...and User Account COntrol is a message that can pop up when entering certain microsoft tool. If a USer Account Control message pops up - give it your permission to continue. If it does not pop up and you can get into the Microsoft Configuration Utitlity - then great , you don't have to worry about User Account Control.

Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
Top Student
HalP
Message 9 of 18 (18,575 Views)

I don't see BTTRAY in Task Manager.  My keyboard is not wireless.

(Haven't gotten around yet to disabling everything in Startup-- still gotta reboot.)

Distinguished Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 10 of 18 (18,563 Views)

1. Click Start.
  2. Type MSCONFIG.
  3. Click Startup tab.
  4. Remove check marks from "HP Desktop Keyboard".
  5. Restart computer.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation