Question

Intern
hapkiman
Message 1 of 3 (373 Views)
Accepted Solution

Changing/upgrading SSD in HPE Phoenix h9-1120t.

[ Edited ]

I have been think about upgrading my SSD (which is a 160GB Intel 320 series running at 3/Gbs.  It really befuddles me as to why HP would use slower 3/Gbs SSDs in their premium rigs.  Plus I need more space.

But anyway the problem is this:

My OS is on the drive, as well a a few other programs and games (Microsoft office [full version], BF3, etc.).  Since this is an OEM system, the way I understand it - is that the OS is an OEM version and is "tied" to the mobo - so I can't just switch the SSD out and use my system restore disc to re-install Win 7 onto a new SSD.  It won't work.

My question is can I get a Windows activation key from HP or Microsoft that will save me the $100 for buying a new copy of Win 7 (and I do not want Win 8).

This is the SSD I am considering:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147189

I plan on keeping and wiping the Intel 320 SSD and using it as a third Harddrive.

Or, can I clone the old SSD's data onto the new SSD -"fooling" the system that I haven't changed anything.  I know there are cloning utility programs out there.  I just hate to have to buy a whole new copy of Windows 7 on top of everything else.

Thanks.

specs12.jpg

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 3 (356 Views)

Re: Changing/upgrading SSD in HPE Phoenix h9-1120t.

Hi,

There shouldn't be a problem with using the HP recovery disks to reload the system on your new SSD.  However, you will need to reinstall your programs and copy your data across.

1. Unplug the current SSD and cable the new SSD into that SATA port.
  2. Use the HP recovery disks and rebuild your system.
  3. Reinstall your programs.
  4. If everything is good then recable the old SSD and copy your data across.

You will need a mounting bracket for the Samsung 840 7mm SSD.

These HP how-to tips should be helpful.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad, HP Chromebook 11
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Intern
hapkiman
Message 3 of 3 (322 Views)

Re: Changing/upgrading SSD in HPE Phoenix h9-1120t.

Ok- sounds good.  I'm gonna try it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation