Question

Top Student
brclblnc
Message 1 of 6 (730 Views)
Accepted Solution

Cleaning Hard Drives

Hi. I have a HPE-380t desktop with Windows 7 Home Premium and 2 500 gb hard drives and am going to do a factory reinstall with my recovery disks. Should I use a hard drive cleaner or eraser prior to the re install and if so, which cleaner is a good one to purchase? Thank you in advance. Bruce

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 6 (715 Views)

Re: Cleaning Hard Drives

Hi,

As you are doing a factory reinstall, the initial step of this will format the hard drive on which it is being installed.  This effectively wipes all data from the drive.  Once your OS is installed you can format your other hard drive using Disk Management.

Best wishes,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
brclblnc
Message 3 of 6 (699 Views)

Hi. Thanks David for saving me a few bucks. I thought that reformatting wouldn't wipe the hard drives completely clean. I appreciate it. Bruce

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 6 (696 Views)

You're welcome.

Best wishes,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
cmalverson
Message 5 of 6 (601 Views)

daivd,

I dont have the restore disk. and i want to get rid of all my personal information off of the hard drive so i can sell it. how can i do this?

Associate Dean
wb2001
Message 6 of 6 (589 Views)

cmalverson,

Please start a new post. When you do, post the make and model of the computer. It will then be easier to answer your question, and allow this post to end.

To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved.
You can render both Solution and KUDO

The Law of Effect states that positive reinforcement increases the probability of a behavior being repeated. (B.F.Skinner). You toss me points, and I perform better.

(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
HP m9200t CTO,Win7 Pro 32 bit. 4GB RAM, ASUS 550Ti 2GB, Rosewill 630W. 1T HD SATA 3Gb/s
Custom Asus P8P67, I7-2600k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX660 2GB, 750W OCZ, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Custom Asus P8Z77, I7-3770k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX670 2GB, 750W OCZ, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Both Customs use Rosewill Blackhawk case.
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation