Question

Honor Student
IScorpion
Message 1 of 6 (2,501 Views)
Accepted Solution

Compaq 500b Memory and CPU compatibility issue

I have a Compaq 500b MT which came from factory with 1GB of RAM and an Intel Celeron E3200 CPU.  I upgraded my memory to two 2GB sticks of Kingston DDR3 1600 RAM, which worked perfectly for some time.  I then upgraded my processor to an Intel Pentium E6500 CPU (supported), and when booting up it gave me a RAM Error beep code (1 short, 1 Long, 3 second pause).  I bought 2 sticks of PNY memory thinking I fried my other sticks.  Same beep code.

To make a long story shorter, I tried every possible combination of the two CPUs and the three types of memory. The only time I could get the Pentium E6500 to boot was with the factory 1GB memory installed.  It would give memory errors with any of the other 2GB sticks, even when tried individually.  The Celeron CPU works just fine with all of them.

Is there something I need in order to get the E6500 to work with the 2GB sticks of RAM?

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 6 (2,495 Views)

Re: Compaq 500b Memory and CPU compatibility issue

[ Edited ]

When you upgraded the memory modules did you make certain that they were guaranteed compatible? This is not an enthusiast level PC with a BIOS that allows flexibility in choosing primary and secondary memory timing settings and VDimm. That means it is critical that one chooses upgrade memory that meets the criterion specified in the image below. Otherwise, the simplest way to upgrade is to only purchase guaranteed compatible memory from major memory manufacturers. 

compatible memory.png

When I search for Compaq 500B MT I come up with a desktop PC. Is that accurate? You posted in the laptop section, perhaps in error. If you will verify that,  I can move this to the correct venue.

Regards,

erico

****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
IScorpion
Message 3 of 6 (2,481 Views)

Thank you.  And yes, this is a desktop.  I apologize for posting in the incorrect forum.

My only other question would be, if it was the new RAM, why would it be recognized and work fine with the Celeron CPU, and not the Pentium E6500?

The Celeron is working with all the memory (KT/PNY/Stock), and the memory shows available in Windows, but the E6500 is only booting up with the stock 1GB stick.

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 6 (2,456 Views)

[ Edited ]

RAM that is close to specifications may work fine for a while and then start behaving strangely and even no longer be recognized by the BIOS.

When I state that the specifications for memory modules are extremely important to follow I am serious.

No problem with the wrong section. Consider it moved.  :smileyhappy:

Regards,
erico

****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
NoZZy
Message 5 of 6 (2,128 Views)

Re: Compaq 500b Memory and CPU compatibility issue (renewal)

[ Edited ]
sxi Honor Student
Honor Student
sxi
Message 6 of 6 (1,776 Views)

The 500B does not document its dependances on single and double sided memory.  I have several 500B system and came to learn that those with E8600 CPUs would only accept 2 GB modules that are double sided (you'll see this referenced as 2Rx8 (double) vs 1Rx8).  Then with other CPUs, it may accept single sided.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation