Re: Compaq Presario SR1790AN - Misconfigured Phoenix Award BIOS and Boot Prompt (2624 Views)
Honor Student
tassie devil
Message 1 of 3 (2,658 Views)

Compaq Presario SR1790AN - Misconfigured Phoenix Award BIOS and Boot Prompt

I have a Compaq Presario SR1790 which used to boot with the red Compaq logo (on black background) and then straight to the OS installed.  The machine has since been upgraded to Vista (from XP) with a fresh install but experienced some hardware problems.

While troubleshooting I was in the BIOS and I selected the "Load Setup Defaults" and the "F5:Reload Default" options.  Since then, I get a blue HP Invent for a few seconds and I am then presented with the BIOS screen and it stays there waiting for a prompt. Today, I reinstalled Windows XP and installed the XP BIOS V3.46 Upgrade from http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-39428-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=au&... hoping it would upgrade (and "flash") it back to that similar from the factory.

I still have the HP Invent and BIOS Prompt - Any ideas on how I can remove the <F2> to Continue prompt and boot directly to the OS or present the (bootcfg) Boot list?

Screen looks something like:

---- COPY OF SCREEN 

Phoenix -- Award BIOS v6.00PC

Copyright (c) 1984-2006, Pheonix Technologies, LTD

Copyright 2005 by Hewlett-Packard Company

Rev. 3.47 03/03/2006

Main Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+

Memor Testing  : 2096128K  OK

IDE Channel 1 Master  : None

IDE Channel 1 Master  : None

IDE Channel 2 Master  : HL-DT-STDVDRRW  GSA-H20L S632

IDE Channel 2 Master  : IDE-DVD DROM 6216 HD08

IDE Channel 3 Master  : WDC WD20000JS-60NCB1  10.02E02

Floppy disk(s) fail (40)

Press <F1> for Setup, <F2> to Continue

--- END COPY OF SCREEN

1.  I've checked the BIOS Setup and I can't see any way I can disable the prompt.  Any ideas?

2.  I'm concerned that I may have corrupted the BIOS (despite successfully upgrading to V3.47) for supporting the XP and/or Vista OSs.  Can I take it back to a service center and have it restored to the factory setting?

Rich

IDE Channel 4 Master  : None

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 2 of 3 (2,646 Views)

Re: Compaq Presario SR1790AN - Misconfigured Phoenix Award BIOS and Boot Prompt

It could be a coincidence or something else, but at first blush, check the clock.  I have seen a similar warning when that has turned out to be the clock is off.  It can also happen when the CMOS battery is in need of replacement, which causes the clock to be off time.  When you replace the battery, check the clock setting and press the set (or accept) defaults, to see if that does it.
{---------- Please click the "White Kudos" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Honor Student
tassie devil
Message 3 of 3 (2,624 Views)

Re: Compaq Presario SR1790AN - Misconfigured Phoenix Award BIOS and Boot Prompt

Thanks for the advice.

I checked and the system clock is correct and enabled correctly.  CMOS battery checks fine - changes can be accepted, saved, updated etc.

So all seems to be fine - so still living with the annoying problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation