Question

Student
owensjd7
Message 1 of 1 (458 Views)

Compaq Presario SR5703WM Can't Find Hard Drive Anymore

My friend's Compaq Presario SR5703WM had been working fine, but now when you turn it on, it can't find the hard drive. The only thing it finds is the CD-ROM. The OS is Windows Vista Home Basic. I tried unplugging everything but keyboard and mouse and running system recovery, but it won't let you do it. F8 has no effect so I can't try to start Windows in safe mode and run a scan to see if there is a virus. You can go into the setup menu, and the boot menu. Hitting F12 for system recovery has no effect. It will ask for a system boot disk. I have a hard time believing the hard disk is toast. I'm wondering if it just can't find the hard disk for some reason. Have seen some BIOS action on one screen but I can't remember any details from it. I live an hour away, and I'm trying to figure out a plan to get this up and running again. Any help, please?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation