Question

Honor Student
ace08
Message 1 of 4 (1,134 Views)

Compaq presario F756NR CD/DVD rom not working or even showing in device manager.

Let me start at the beginning. Compaq presario F756NR

1. Computer got a nasty bug that removed my cd/dvd rom from bios (it was there and worked before, so I assume the virus is the cause)

2. Computer would not boot to cd to run re-install disc (had to run my external HD into bootloader to re-install windows 7)

3. The bios boot option shows a cd option but it wont boot to CD and device manager does not show any cd/dvd rom or any explanation points any where.

4. I went into REGEDIT to delete the filters, keep getting an error message of " properties cannot be opened, an error is preventing this key from being opened. Details: Access is denied"

5. I unlocked admin account and tried the REGEDIT again with same errors.

6. I did what is recommended in another solved thread. in this this thread and save the stuff to note pad and ran it as administrator from CmdPmt it said successful. I then restarted, still no luck.

7. I tried the next thing suggest which was a REGEDIT #4. No Luck

8. I have tried another CD ROM from a Dell inspiron, It plugs in the light comes on and it start to spin but then does nothing. I know its a good CD ROM from the Dell.

ANY HELP WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON THIS THING FOR TWO DAYS!

Distinguished Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 2 of 4 (1,115 Views)

Re: Compaq presario F756NR CD/DVD rom not working or even showing in device manager.

I would save all my important files and do a system recovery. It sounds like things are messed up in the registry.

... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
Student
theq35
Message 3 of 4 (1,036 Views)

Re: Compaq presario F756NR CD/DVD rom not working or even showing in device manager.

I have this same problem with 2 units with the same model number .... the cd rom doesnt show in the device manager ....

I see this was a post from a while ago is there an update for this ?

thanks

Q

Student
Kango251
Message 4 of 4 (974 Views)

[ Edited ]

It's a problem with the motherboard related to the well known video chip solder joints. In 2006 they started using lead free solder and it has failed from heat on many laptops made after 2006 creating many problems such as dvd drives not being recognized and wireless cards not working. When it completely fails the video goes dead and the laptop won't boot anymore.

The fix it to get the video chip reflowed or replace the motherboard. Sometimes you get lucky and installing a copper shim between the heatsink and the video chip will fix it but it is not guaranteed to work forever. Hope this helps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation