Question

Top Student
Andrew7
Message 1 of 2 (294 Views)

Computer Fan Spinning Faster, But Temerature Is Negative

[ Edited ]

Hello everyone! Recently my computer has been louder than it had been in the past, so I looked into it and I believe that my CPU's fan is working harder than it did before (it's definitely not due to dust build up, as I opened up me computer's case and gave it a thorough cleaning. It's also the middle of winter and we're having -20C temperatures where I am so it's not too hot in my room).

I suppose I should mention that my computer is an HP Pavilion 500 Desktop PC. I bought it about 6 months ago, and you can view this page if you want some more details on the specs:

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/hp-desktop-pc-with-amd-quad-core-a8-5500-320ghz-processor-black-500-097/...

It starts spinning faster and being louder right from the second when I turn my computer on, so it's not the result of me having any powerful programs open, and as I said I've never heard it this loud before, even when rendering a video in Sony Vegas.

I looked on the internet and I saw that some people recommended the program SpeedFan, so I downloaded it and it gave me this information:

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/7113/7t2x.png

I'm pretty sure that something is fishy here. 2600RPMs with a temperature of -128C? How the heck does that work? If anyone can give me some tips on what I should do I would really appreciate it!

HP Support Agent
Dunidar
Message 2 of 2 (250 Views)

Re: Computer Fan Spinning Faster, But Temerature Is Negative

Hello Andrew7,

I understand that you are concerned with your fan spinning faster and louder than normal. I would like to advise you to review the HP Support document : Reducing Fan Noise. This document address the situation you find yourself in. I believe that this will resolve your issue. On another important note if your fan was spinning faster to reduce heat buildup and it was working I would recommend you review the HP Support document : Reducing Heat Inside the PC to Prevent Overheating.

I believe with these documents you are on the way to finding a resolution to your issue. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation