Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Good evening everyone!

I currently own an HP A564n Pavillion Desktop.

My computer stop powering on but the light on the back of the unit by the power suply  blinks on and off.

I'm wondering if this is a power suply problem or a problem with the main circuit board.

Has anyone ever experience this problem before?

The computer does not come on when you press the power button.

The power button is not broken.

However, when you turn on the power, nothing comes on, just the green power supply light comes on and off.

Any help or ideas?

Thanks everyone.

Audioicon

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

It could be either one.  I found this discussion on a similar problem but an older version of the hardware.  Here is a suggestion from that thread

"I have a 8667c pavilion desktop and here 's what I got from HP.
My machine can fail to boot as there is a build-up charge on the motherboard.
The workaround is to hold in the power button for 5-10 minutes while the power cable is disconnected (I prop it "ON" with a stick).
After 5-10 minutes, it boots-up fine"

If that doesn't do you any good, the first thing I would do is replace the power supply (unless you have a PS tester that can verify the PS).  That is most likely the cheapest fix.  Or you can open the case and verify everything is still connected properly but you can do that in the process of replacing the PS.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

@TheOldMan wrote:

It could be either one.  I found this discussion on a similar problem but an older version of the hardware.  Here is a suggestion from that thread

"I have a 8667c pavilion desktop and here 's what I got from HP.
My machine can fail to boot as there is a build-up charge on the motherboard.
The workaround is to hold in the power button for 5-10 minutes while the power cable is disconnected (I prop it "ON" with a stick).
After 5-10 minutes, it boots-up fine"

If that doesn't do you any good, the first thing I would do is replace the power supply (unless you have a PS tester that can verify the PS).  That is most likely the cheapest fix.  Or you can open the case and verify everything is still connected properly but you can do that in the process of replacing the PS.

Thanks very much for the reply! I really appreciate your time and efforts. 🙂

Unfortunately, my issues are different. There is no power! The computer does not turn on at all.

However, there is a green light on the back of the power supply that is suppose to come on when you press the power button, this light is suppose to remain solid green!

Right now the light blinks with a clicking noise but the power button does not light up and the computer does not boot.

What I have done so far.

I unplugged the wires from the power supply  that connects to the Motherboard and the green light on the power supply stopped blinking and stayed on solid. However, when I attached the wires back to the Motherboard, the light starts to blink with the clicking noise. This noise is coming from the light.

I also removed the graphics card, PCI card, RAM and disconnected the hard drive but the problems continued.

The only time the light does not blink is when I unplug the wires from the power supply to the Motherboard.

I read a documentation on the HP website that explains this problem and according to the notes - the problem is the motherboard.

According to the documentation - if you unplug the Motherboard and the light continues to blink, then the mother board is not the problem.

If the light stops blinking after you unplug the mother board, then the mother board is the problem.

I will post a link to this documentation.

Thanks - Audioicon

HP Recommended

I have a HPm1170 that is doing the same thing. How ever mine is set in the BIOS to power up when AC power is restored.

If I unplug the power supply from the mother board the light comes on solid. when I plug it back in the PC will boot up normally and run all day. I tried shutting it down for a few minutes and then restarting it and it works fine.

After sitting all night I have the same problem.

I wonder if the voltage from the power supply that powers the board when it is off is too low and not allowing the power button to work. Try holding the power button while plugging the power supply into the board. The voltage may be high enough before you plug it in to trigger the PC to start.

HP Recommended

Audiocon - I have the same symptoms on a Pavilion a350n. It is the motherboard. "Hotplugging" in the 20pin cable will fix the problem until the ac power is interrupted. I am lookin for information on which IC is bad on another thread. My motherboard is a P4SD-LA. If you still have issue after hotplug workaround - change the Li-battery.

HP Recommended
Hello I know this post is old but I'm having the same problem with my hp, it was given to me by my mother-inlaw and was working fine the day she gave it to me, she unplugged it boxed it up and I picked it up took it to my house and put it together and plugged it in and the green light on the psu started blinking! (i think she didn't power it down correctly) anyway I did some research on these forums and Google and found everyone who has had the same problem has fixed it with hot plugging the power to the motherboard but its not working for me! I unplug the power to the mobo and the light stops blinking, then I unplug the cord from the wall and wait awhile then plug the cord back into the wall the light comes on solid and then I plug the power to the mobo back in and the light starts blinking again! Any suggestions please?
HP Recommended

The standard test link is here:http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph06788

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

I have the exact same issue as you had.  Did you ever find out the solution, other than hotplugging power to the motherboard everytime you lose power?

HP Recommended
Where can I buy a new power supply that's reasonable
HP Recommended
I seen a clip on utube. es how to change it
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.