Question

Honor Student
sacredlife323
Message 1 of 4 (1,756 Views)

Computer wants to format all SD cards

couple weeks ago i could insert SD card and be able to retrieve pictures with no problem.

now it wants to format the SD card. SD card is fine as it works in camera and at the walmart picture koisk 

so we used a different camera with a different SD card. it wanted to format that card as well

we tried again with our phone camera cards using the SD adapter and it wanted to format those as well.

I dont want to format the cards as i dont want to lose pictures. ive read that its something to do with computers hardrive.

We are using Windows 7 and its a HP Pavilion Elite HPE Desktop

HELP!

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 4 (1,745 Views)

Re: Computer wants to format all SD cards

Sounds like the sd card reader may be defective or needs the driver updated or reinstalled.

Can you post the complete model number of the PC? Should be on a sticker somewhere on the PC.

Honor Student
sacredlife323
Message 3 of 4 (1,743 Views)

HPE- 112y

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 4 of 4 (1,737 Views)

There does not seem to be a card reader driver, it must be a usb device.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=4120194&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&submit.y=0&submit.x=0&...

With the card inserted in the reader, Open Device Manager and then expand "Universal Serial Bus Controllers"

See if the "card reader" shows in the list, if it does, right click on it and select "uninstall" confirm the action, remove the card from the reader,  then go to the top of DM and click "Action", then select scan for hardware changes, it should reinstall the driver, then try the card again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation