Question

Honor Student
TeaRowz
Message 1 of 7 (787 Views)

Correct Modem for Pavilion 563W

Hello,

I need a replacement modem for my older Pavilion 563W.  I am running XP Pro, SP2.

At the HP website, I find reference to the modem (in the product specs for my computer model) as being a Cheetah 2 v.90.  At the Parts Store, a Cheetah III is indicated as being the correct part.

Can someone tell me with certainty which is correct, please? 

Also, where might one find one of these modems?  I understand that it goes by several names (for its manufacturer, chipset maker, etc.)  At one site, I saw one such modem referred to as an HP Lucent Cheetah Win Modem 56k Data/Fax PCI.

I thank anyone who can help!

Professor
1badGuard
Message 2 of 7 (776 Views)

Re: Correct Modem for Pavilion 563W

I really don't think it needs to be the same as what you once had. Any 56k Data/Fax PCI modem will work. Unless you just want that specific one.
Honor Student
TeaRowz
Message 3 of 7 (769 Views)

Thank you, dmhoo29.  I wasn't sure whether I needed to install the same modem.  I pulled a 56K PCI modem from another Compaq desktop, and looking at the connections, I see what I think are called "keys" (spaces between the rows of copper connections), and immediately thought that it may not fit the Pavilion 563W computer...

Are you saying that modem connections on the motherboard are standardized, and that all 56k Data/Fax PCI cards are interchangeable?

Associate Professor
RoyalSerpent
Message 4 of 7 (762 Views)

Check Fleabay for a US Robotics 5610B.  This is a very nice hardware-based modem.  A used modem should run about $15-$20.  The el-cheapo HP win modem can be found for less than $10.
Honor Student
TeaRowz
Message 5 of 7 (760 Views)

Thank you for your suggestion, Royal.

I installed the modem from my other computer, and it work fine!  Device Manager even automatically found an update for the driver!

I'm one :smileyvery-happy: girl!

Thanks again!

Associate Professor
RoyalSerpent
Message 6 of 7 (756 Views)

Good deal...best part...it's free.
Honor Student
TeaRowz
Message 7 of 7 (741 Views)

You bet!   It pays to keep an extra 'puter, and an extra of necessary components!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation