Question

Top Student
HankRearden
Message 1 of 4 (170 Views)
Accepted Solution

Could a PC support a larger external drive than it does internally?

Almost a year ago, with help from this forum, I learned the hard way that my computer won't support an internal hard drive larger than 1 TB.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware/Installing-a-3TB-secondary-hard-drive-on-a-Presario-CQ...

System: Presario CQ5320F

Motherboard: M2N68-LA (Narra6)

BIOS: American Megatrends 5.15, 11/6/2009

Now, with that 1 TB drive failing on me (trying to see if I can get it replaced), a different question comes to mind.  Does anyone know if the system could support a larger EXTERNAL drive than what it's limited to on an internal drive?  I'm speculating that because an external drive presumably connects via USB (I guess I should also figure out if they're USB 3.0 ports) and size restrictions become more of a software issue, not necessarily a motherboard/bios issue as with the internal drive.

In other words, if I can't get my 1TB drive replaced by the vendor for failing within a year and I'm going to have to buy my own, I'm wondering if I could instead buy a 2 or 3TB external drive for this machine.

I know what you're thinking... if I'm willing to drop a hundred or two on a new hard drive, why not stretch it a little more and get a cheap but competant newer PC to stop living under these terrible hard drive limitations?  You my friend would be right, and I applaud the suggestion.  But let me remind you how "wives" work.  When you try to explain to them why the smart thing is to spend $400 on a new computer, they recite a well rehearsed list of things they think you should instead spend that money on.  Pssh... wives.

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 4 (168 Views)

Re: Could a PC support a larger external drive than it does internally?

Hi,

There are 4TB external HDD's on the market now and they all work.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Associate Dean
wb2001
Message 3 of 4 (153 Views)

Understanding the previous commentary you linked, I would still suggest a 1TB drive on your M2N68-LA board.

The newer 64MB cache drives will give better performance.

The Law of Effect states that positive reinforcement increases the probability of a behavior being repeated. (B.F.Skinner). You toss me points, and I perform better.

To say THANK YOU, press the white "thumbs up" on the left, to render a KUDO.
Please click Accept as Solution, just to the right of my reply if your problem is solved.
You can render both Solution and KUDO

(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
HP m9200t CTO,Win7 Pro 32 bit. 4GB RAM, ASUS 550Ti 2GB, Rosewill 630W. 1T HD SATA 3Gb/s
Custom Asus P8P67, I7-2600k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX660 2GB, 750W Corsair, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Custom Asus P8Z77, I7-3770k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX670 2GB, 750W Corsair, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus

Top Student
HankRearden
Message 4 of 4 (108 Views)

Thank you both. Exactly the information I needed!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation