Question

Top Student
HankRearden
Message 1 of 4 (179 Views)
Accepted Solution

Could a PC support a larger external drive than it does internally?

Almost a year ago, with help from this forum, I learned the hard way that my computer won't support an internal hard drive larger than 1 TB.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware/Installing-a-3TB-secondary-hard-drive-on-a-Presario-CQ...

System: Presario CQ5320F

Motherboard: M2N68-LA (Narra6)

BIOS: American Megatrends 5.15, 11/6/2009

Now, with that 1 TB drive failing on me (trying to see if I can get it replaced), a different question comes to mind.  Does anyone know if the system could support a larger EXTERNAL drive than what it's limited to on an internal drive?  I'm speculating that because an external drive presumably connects via USB (I guess I should also figure out if they're USB 3.0 ports) and size restrictions become more of a software issue, not necessarily a motherboard/bios issue as with the internal drive.

In other words, if I can't get my 1TB drive replaced by the vendor for failing within a year and I'm going to have to buy my own, I'm wondering if I could instead buy a 2 or 3TB external drive for this machine.

I know what you're thinking... if I'm willing to drop a hundred or two on a new hard drive, why not stretch it a little more and get a cheap but competant newer PC to stop living under these terrible hard drive limitations?  You my friend would be right, and I applaud the suggestion.  But let me remind you how "wives" work.  When you try to explain to them why the smart thing is to spend $400 on a new computer, they recite a well rehearsed list of things they think you should instead spend that money on.  Pssh... wives.

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 4 (177 Views)

Re: Could a PC support a larger external drive than it does internally?

Hi,

There are 4TB external HDD's on the market now and they all work.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Associate Dean
wb2001
Message 3 of 4 (162 Views)

Understanding the previous commentary you linked, I would still suggest a 1TB drive on your M2N68-LA board.

The newer 64MB cache drives will give better performance.

To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved.
You can render both Solution and KUDO

The Law of Effect states that positive reinforcement increases the probability of a behavior being repeated. (B.F.Skinner). You toss me points, and I perform better.

(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
HP m9200t CTO,Win7 Pro 32 bit. 4GB RAM, ASUS 550Ti 2GB, Rosewill 630W. 1T HD SATA 3Gb/s
Custom Asus P8P67, I7-2600k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX660 2GB, 750W Corsair, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Custom Asus P8Z77, I7-3770k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX670 2GB, 750W Corsair, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus
Top Student
HankRearden
Message 4 of 4 (117 Views)

Thank you both. Exactly the information I needed!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation