DC7600 Fan Speed won't idle down (257 Views)
Tutor
mrgimble2
Message 1 of 12 (257 Views)
Accepted Solution

DC7600 Fan Speed won't idle down

I'm new here but not new to computer repair, I have a problem that has me so stumped!

A customer brought me an Hp DC7600 SFF desktop computer and said that the thing is so noisy he doen't want to use it.

Specs" Pentium 4 3.00Ghz

2 gb DDR2 533 memory

320 gig HD

Win 7

I turned it on and was blown away, this thing is so loud you can't hear yourself think!

I unplugged the chassis fan which quieted it down some but the CPU fan runs at 5400 RPM Non stop, I can't get the fans to idle down! I tried using the program Speedfan, that was a joke.

I am at a loss as to what to do and wondering if something on the board that controls the fan speed went haywire. I also updated to the most recent BIOS and that did nothing.

When the computer starts, it honestly sounds like a small aircraft winding up getting ready for takeoff!

What to do, what to do? ANY suggestions would be most appreciated.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 12 (245 Views)

Re: DC7600 Fan Speed won't idle down

Hi:

In the BIOS, there is a fan idle speed setting (under the power options I believe).

Make sure that setting is set all the way down.

Other than to make sure there is no issue with the heatsink not making good contact with the processor, or the contact surfaces needing a reapplication of thermal grease, I would agree that there is a major hardware issue that is unsolvable without replacing the motherboard/processor.

Tutor
mrgimble2
Message 3 of 12 (241 Views)

I have done as you suggested, I have cleaned both the CPU and the heatsink base and applied new thermal paste, I also set the "Thermal configuration" all the way down in the BIOS, No luck at all.

I'm leaning more and more to a motherboard issue.

I also found out that this customer told me they tried to install an E5800 CPU in the board and of course it didn't work, They told me after that, the fans just run full bore. 5400 RPM's is just a bit much.

I think it's toast but the funny thing is it is running Win 7 and runs like a champ, it is just extremely loud!

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 12 (237 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi:

I think it is toast too.

The fastest processor you can install in that model is the Pentium D 950 or 945 if you don't want VT.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 5 of 12 (236 Views)

I just found this post on the HP business support forum...

Is this the person who blew up his PC?

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Compaq-Elite-Pro/DC7600-CMT-09F0h-Motherboard-Compatibilit...

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 12 (234 Views)

I just got an idea...

Try installing the last microcode update and see if that clears up the problem.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?sp4ts.oid=472259&spf...

In order to install the microcode update, you will need to know how to make a bootable usb flash drive, load DOS command files on it and then copy the contents of the microcode flash file onto the bootable drive.

Boot from the usb flash drive and at the command prompt type Flashbin.exe and hit the enter key.

Follow the on screen instructions.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 7 of 12 (225 Views)

I got another idea and shame on me for not thinking of it first...Clear the CMOS and see if that fixes it.

Shut down the PC and unplug all external devices connected to it--keyboard, mouse, monitor, power cord...

Open the case and on the motherboard (normally near the coin cell battey) is a little yellow clear CMOS button.

Press and hold that button for 25 - 30 seconds and release it.

Put everything back together and turn on the PC.

All BIOS settings will have been reset to their defaults and the PC will "relearn" all of the hardware.

Many times clearing the CMOS will fix some odd-ball issues.

Tutor
mrgimble2
Message 8 of 12 (219 Views)

Well I'm guessing that I have been at this repair business much longer then I thought. I am one step ahead of you so far :smileyhappy:.

I have tried everything you have mentioned and then some, short of picking it up and bouncing it off the floor!

I truly do appreciate your efforts and thoughts as two heads ARE better then one. IF you can think of anything else, I will be more then glad to try it.

I am at a point where I saw a used Mobo on Ebay for 20 bucks, was thinking of buying it but then am afraid I will be losing 20 bucks. There has to be an answer and I'll bet it is the simplest and the last thing we could think of!

Thanks again!!!..........Keep scratching your head for me :smileyhappy:

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 9 of 12 (216 Views)

You're very welcome.

Good luck!

I'm tapped out.

That is a dated PC.

Rather than buying a motherboard, you may want to recommend he get an newer "old" pc like a dc7800 or dc7900.

They can be had for cheap on eBay, and you could get one that has better than an E5800 processor.

Tutor
mrgimble2
Message 10 of 12 (205 Views)

Thank you for your input/ideas and suggestions. I'm going to recommend he get a newer system as I believe this one is history! We've done all we can and it's time to throw in the towel! Thanks again so much!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation