Question

Honor Student
hheer
Message 1 of 6 (1,832 Views)

Dead wireless keyboard

I have an HP m9160f with 64bit Windows Vista Home Premium, the system has a wireless keyboard and mouse. It worked fine for about a year and then one day the keyboard just stopped working. I have tried updating the software to no avail. Mouse still works using the same wireless USB. Can someone help me to figure out whatwent wrong. The keyboard was never dropped so there was no damage.

Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 6 (1,826 Views)

Re: Dead wireless keyboard

[ Edited ]

Have you replaced the batteries in the keyboard?  I use rechargeable batteries in my Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse.

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Pro

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 6 (1,822 Views)

yes I have changed 2 sets of Duracell but no luck, its wierd as I was just typing when it just went dead on me.

Tutor
mdeck
Message 4 of 6 (1,786 Views)

My wireless keyboard (came with xb4 docking station) has also gone dead, and it's not the batteries.  Interesting that the mouse is working just fine. 

Please advise if anyone finds a solution.....  HP support is pretty useless (as usual).

-- mmd

Tutor
mdeck
Message 5 of 6 (1,779 Views)

hheer,

I just found something that worked for me. 

My situation: Wireless keyboard and mouse that came with xb4 docking station (mouse and keyboard both have model number 5189URF).  Both worked fine for several weeks, then keyboard stopped responding (mouse was fine).  Batteries had a good charge.  Different USB ports had no effect.

What worked for me is described here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=ie&docname=c00048086#N1403 (under #5 "Wireless mouse/keyboard not working," in case the link doesn't automatically go there).

What they don't tell you in ANY manual (which is close to criminal) is that the blue light on the USB receiver is actually a reset button!  With the receiver plugged in to a USB port, I pushed the button/light until it started flashing.  What it doesn't tell you to do next is to push the blue button (not lighted) on the bottom of the keyboard until the blue light on the receiver STOPS flashing.  At that point, my keyboard started to function again, and the mouse was just fine.

I wish I had back the two hours of my life I spent in chat with an HP tech who couldn't get it into his/her head that I was having a problem with a wireless KEYBOARD and not a wireless NIC (made three suggestions for fixes to wireless NIC issues).    But at least I can use my PC again! 

I hope this survives a reboot and I'm not jinxing myself by posting it here......

-- mdeck

Intern
johnrocks
Message 6 of 6 (1,774 Views)

Is your keyboard still running in warranty period? contact the service centre.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation