Desktop wont boot!!!! HELP!!!!!! (220 Views)
Honor Student
chitowng7414
Message 1 of 6 (220 Views)

Desktop wont boot!!!! HELP!!!!!!

My HP Pavilion Media Center m8417c won't boot up the lights come on and the cd drive spins and the fans spin for a second but still nothing but a black screen and I've tried unplugging everything holding down the power button for 30 seconds it worked once but when I tried to restart it again same thing happened nothing but a black screen and no beeps and nothing on the monitor the monitor works fine hooked my xbox to it and plays fine but I'd like to have my computer back got a lot of things to do and nothing to work with please help!

Processor: AMD Phenom X3 8400 Triple core
Hard Drive: 640 GB
Distinguished Professor
HardBeatZ
Message 2 of 6 (194 Views)

Hello chitowng7414,

For starters start with this troubleshooting article and see if it helps resolve the issue.
http://goo.gl/ByX9b
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
Honor Student
chitowng7414
Message 3 of 6 (186 Views)

Re: Desktop wont boot!!!! HELP!!!!!!

First I would like to say thanks for responding to my call for help unfortunately none of these things are even close to helping me solve my problem, because my computer lights up and fans turn on but it just doesn't go to the POST test and the processing light stays on like its trying to do a job and never goes off, and the fans spin for a few seconds but stop after they check out fine.

Distinguished Professor
HardBeatZ
Message 4 of 6 (179 Views)

I wasn't sure the article would help, but it's one of those things that has to be mentioned to rule out the simple fixes.

When the issue started was there anything that was recently added to the machine?

Try opening the case up and checking all your connections. If unsure if connected properly reseat the connection. Definitely reseat the processor and heatsink.

Disconnect any hardware that is not needed to get a computer to actually post and enter BIOS. (e.g. cd/roms)

If you are using a PCI video card and your computer has integrated, move to integrated to rule the video card out as well.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
Honor Student
chitowng7414
Message 5 of 6 (156 Views)

Re: Desktop wont boot!!!! HELP!!!!!!

Well I would like to open it but i've heard of a anti static wristband and mat you have to use in order to do that and i don't have those, and i forgot to mention just a week or so earlier the computer sounded like it was about to take off as a fan on the inside of the computer revved up loud for a few minutes but I paid it no mind since it went off and everything was still running fine, If that's the problem then let me know so i won't have to spend unnecessary money.  Thanks for your posts they've really been helpful.

Distinguished Professor
HardBeatZ
Message 6 of 6 (119 Views)

Don't believe everything you hear. You don't need an anti static wristband and mat to work on a computer.

If you don't feel comfortable working on the computer yourself you may want to consult a PC repair shop. The fan spinning up really fast and lout it could be part of the problem or it could be another problem. Until the computer is cracked open we might not know the full extent of your problems.
- Friendship is magical.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation