Question

Honor Student
RLN37
Message 1 of 3 (3,208 Views)

Difference between front-panel and rear-panel USB ports

I bought a USB-to-parallel cable so I could use my treasured Laserjet 4M+ printer with mynew HP Media-Center PC.  This works fine when I plug the cable into a front-panel USB port, but does NOT work when the cable is plugged into a USB port on the rear of the computer.  Other than this, all USB ports "seem" to operate normally.  But there is evidently some difference between the two kinds of USB port, rear-panel  vs front-panel.  Anyone know anything about this?

Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 3 (3,196 Views)

Re: Difference between front-panel and rear-panel USB ports

I don't believe that there is any difference between the USB ports on the front panel and the ports in the rear.  I have seen this anomoly many times, however.  For some unknown reason, at least unknown to me, a device that won't work in one USB port, can be plugged into the port next to it and work just fine.  Why?  Like I said, I don't know.  Maybe there is someone on the forum who can answer the question for both of us.

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 3 (3,183 Views)

Re: Difference between front-panel and rear-panel USB ports

USB can be buggy (hit or miss).  The USB port on my NF4 board may not detect a USB drive after a few insert/remove cycles.  Only fix is to restart windows.  Never come across this anomaly with my P35 board.  Both were clean installs of XP Pro.

Sometimes, one USB port can deliver higher voltage/current than another USB port.  IRQ mapping may also result in detection problem.  The use of an adaptor cable can amplify a compatibility issue.  For best performance and stability, use an adaptor that connect directly to the PCI or PCI-E slot.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation